Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bale844
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2005, 05:17 PM

Training Class Wont Take Staffs?!?!?!?!

IVE JUST CALLED A TRAINER AS SHE WAS RECOMENDED + SHE TOLD ME POINT BLANK SHE DOESNT DO STAFFS!!!!
SOMETHING ABOUT HER INSURANCE WONT LET HER AFTER AN INCIDENT WITH A STAFF 2 YEARS AGO.
HAS ANYONE COME ACROSS THIS B4? JO X
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 05:20 PM
My old dog trainer used to teach staffs, infact they were his fave his breed to train but I've not heared of trainers point blank refusing to take on a staff, that's shocking
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-09-2005, 05:24 PM
That terrible!
bale844
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2005, 05:33 PM
she said she would ask her co-trainer but it was her that was worsely affected by the staff incident!!
i did say presumably it was a violent incident + she said it was, i did ask if it was an already mature male as they can sometimes stick up for themselves with other male dogs + she said yes.
it also could have been a rescue with history i suppose but didnt ask this.
i did explain that remi is female, only 13 weeks old + has been socialized at puppy classes since 10 weeks of age so theres a very, very slim chance she would even try to look agressively?!?!?!
a couple at remi's training class with a rotti pup recomended it as better than the other 1 + we were going to go together this week.
ive asked her to give a character reference as shes been with us at 3 puppy classes now + seen remi with other dogs etc.
i can understand the trainer bieng a little wary...but of a tiny puppy?!? shes an irish staff so taller + slimmer + shes blue so not your conventional staff anyway, theres practically no chance she looks anything like the staff that attacked!!!
am i wrong to feel angry? i understand her reasons but cant calm myself down!!! jo xx
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 05:38 PM
You are perfectly justified in being angry i would be too.we had a similar experience with a cravan site that refused to take staffs last year, and they couldnt give us a valid reason.ours were only tiny pups then and really well behaved.
bale844
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2005, 05:45 PM
i know many staffs dont like other male dogs (as with most breeds),
i know if an older dog starts training classes its probably already got issues that need working on,
i know rescue dogs have history so can be a little unrully, but a trainer should be able to see these points for herself shouldnt she?
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

03-09-2005, 06:00 PM
personally if it were me I wouldn't go to the class

I hate breed discrimination
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2005, 06:03 PM
The problem is that more and more insurance companies are excluding breeds - the caravan site we have our holiday home on has a list of excluded dogs (not Staffies, but does include rotties!)

Boarding kennel and training insurance companies are increasingly adding extra premiums for certain breeds purely on the basis of media hype

Try not to blame the trainer - I would give her credit for at least having an insurance policy;many don't
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Emm
personally if it were me I wouldn't go to the class

I hate breed discrimination
i agree with you Emm not correct find somebody else
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by bale844
i did say presumably it was a violent incident + she said it was, i did ask if it was an already mature male as they can sometimes stick up for themselves with other male dogs + she said yes.
Most bizzare-your dog is the opposite of everything she is wary of and she calls herself a trainer??? :smt017
Would suggest trying another class which accepts Staffies.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >