View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mom24dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2013, 06:01 PM

My small dogs keep nipping my large puppy. Will they ever get along?

I recently got a boy puppy, Marley, that will be 5 months on the 11th. I already have 2 small girl dogs, a MinPin Maddi and a MinPin/Pug mix Pepper. The puppy is large. His dad is an Old English Sheep Dog and it looks like he is going to be as big as one. Marley really wants to play with the small dogs but he is so big and bouncy that they are scared of him and keep barking/hollering at him to go away and nip at his face when he gets to close. Luckily Marley backs up, he will keep trying but he backs up when they say so and doesn't get aggressive at them. But I am afraid he will get tired of their crap and maybe go after them, eventually. They do sometimes check eachother out, Marley is submissive and roles over. Then he wants to play a little and wants to chew on a leg or neck and he gets to rough and then they start yelling at him again which gets him a little more wound up, I think he likes it. LOL. Are they just teaching him what he can and cant do or should I stop them?

Also when Marley wants to check out our really old girl husky dog, Chhaya, she doesn't want him to come anywhere near her and growls big time and barks. She has always been like that with all dogs, they learn quick to stay away and leave her alone. But of course, being a puppy, Marley still tries at least once a day. Pepper started to get in between them like she is trying to make them stop. I am really confused on how Pepper feels about Marley.

Pepper seems to be getting jealous of Marley and nips at his face if he gets close to her even if Marley isn't trying to play. The dogs are not allowed on the couch and they know it, but Pepper has been jumping up on the couch with me a LOT. Then when Marley comes over to me she nips his face. I make her get down when she does this so she knows I do not like that behavior. I give them all attention so that they wont think they are being ignored because of the new puppy, but Pepper is just super jealous. I want them to get along and love eachother but I don't know if it will happen.

I will post a link to a youtube video that I am uploading as soon as it's done. It's taking forever. It's the 3 of them doing what they do.
mom24dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2013, 06:46 PM
The MinPin is mostly blind. She has diabetes and Cushings disease. The MinPin/Pug is healthy other than being overweight. The puppy Marley is not neutered yet, but he will be on the 29th. MinPin Maddi is spayed. MinPin/Pug Pepper is not spayed. The only reason Pepper is not spayed is because I am afraid of her having complications because she is soooo overweight. She is on a diet and still don't seem to loose weight. Her nick name is Piggy because she acts like one around food and she has a curly tail, she looks like a little black pot belly pig. lol. and yes that is her snorting like a pig in the video. lol.

If this video you can see Pepper nipping at Marley for no reason other than getting close.

Also, is there a reason Marley keeps backing into the dogs with his butt and straddling them?

http://youtu.be/oHhklCKCcpk
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2013, 08:12 PM
It's a tricky one - on the plus side no one seems unduly worried except your black pug that does, to my eyes anyway, look a little bit disturbed. How long have you had that beautiful puppy?

Do the dogs have their own space so that they aren't pestered by the puppy?

I think it's difficult to judge without knowing how long they've been together.
mom24dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2013, 10:54 PM
We have had the puppy for only 2.5 weeks. So it's not been that long yet. I am hoping they will warm up better soon.

The black pug mix is like the most normal acting dog we have. lol. The pug was playing with the new puppy the way you saw the MinPin playing with him. But the last several days it seems she has developed some super jealousy and nips at him way more than she did at first. I don't know if I would call her disturbed though.

They all have free run of the house. The cage we have for the puppy used to be the cage we kept the two small dogs in, but they haven't had to stay in there in over a year, but they still like to lay in there. Maddi, the MinPin, still lays in there a lot and if Marley, the puppy, tries to go over there she growls at him and chases him away, even though the puppy stays in there now. Maddi even growls at Pepper if she wants to lay in there with her. Pepper, the pug/minpin, don't care about the cage to much, other than to cuddle with Maddi. They are all crazy. One minute they are cool together and the next they aren't. They confuse me.

Is there anything that I can do to help them get along quicker or better?
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2013, 05:59 AM
2.5 weeks is very soon. I think they're sorting out the '"pecking order" (not a very fashionable expression anymore but it conveys the meaning of what I'm trying to say) I think the older dogs are trying to say "don't mess with me too much - but we don't mind the odd play". In my opinion your two older dogs have an awful lot to adjust to and are behaving as well as can be expected . It must be especially scary for the one that is blind.

I've no experience of introducing dogs but from what I gather on here the most important thing is that dogs have a place they can go to that the can call their own to get away from the relentless attention of a puppy. As your dogs are quite small maybe there is somewhere they can go that the puppy can't get access to? The trouble with puppies is that they can be quite demanding and disrespectful of other's territory (you and your family are included as territory) and that must be disorientating your two existing dogs. Chayya sounds like she has solid boundaries!

Others will read your posting with much more experience than I, and will be able to offer you some advice.

Good luck with your absolutely beautiful dogs. I had never seen many minpins, until I came on here and there is a member here who has a little minpin and I love the way she talks about this little dog. They're fantastic little characters.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 07:50 AM
You know I did not study the video in detail but, certainly where the Minpin was concerned, I could see NOTHING aggressive going on there. My little Ayatollah Minpin behaves like that with all her good doggy friends. They nip each other all round the mouth area all the time. I've got a vid somewhere of her playing with a 'boyfriend' will try to find it.

Not so sure about the pug - one of those nips did seem more of a warning than a play bite. But hey that's a BIG new dog you've brought into their world! However, all my experience of Minpins is that they are sublimely unaware that they are 'little' dogs!

I think one of my Greek pals summed it up well when he said 'God made Bella very small - so he made her VERY BRAVE!'
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2013, 08:43 AM
It was your minpin that I was referring to in my last post but I couldn't remember her name as I was posting. Great little dogs. A woman wheechair user in our neighbourhood has one - not a minpin more like a Kingpin!

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
You know I did not study the video in detail but, certainly where the Minpin was concerned, I could see NOTHING aggressive going on there. My little Ayatollah Minpin behaves like that with all her good doggy friends. They nip each other all round the mouth area all the time. I've got a vid somewhere of her playing with a 'boyfriend' will try to find it.

Not so sure about the pug - one of those nips did seem more of a warning than a play bite. But hey that's a BIG new dog you've brought into their world! However, all my experience of Minpins is that they are sublimely unaware that they are 'little' dogs!

I think one of my Greek pals summed it up well when he said 'God made Bella very small - so he made her VERY BRAVE!'
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Yes Baxter - they are known as the TYRANTS of the miniature dog world!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Hi they are only testing the boundaries, the older dog will let them know in no uncertain terms how far they can go.Gemini54
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi they are only testing the boundaries, the older dog will let them know in no uncertain terms how far they can go.Gemini54
It is the OLDER dogs who are doing the nipping. The bigger dog is the new puppy who doesn't seem to be testing any boundaries.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >