Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k_azu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2013, 09:49 PM

Flying with a dog from Finland..

Hi everyone,
So I am thinking of getting a puppy from Finland and am trying to figure out the best/cheapest way of getting him from there to UK. It seems like flying is the best way to do it as it takes less time and causes less stress for the dog and me... does anyone have any experience flying with a dog to uk from another european country? Because UK has this silly law that animals can only travel by cargo I'm trying to find the best airline for this. I know lufthansa is good but the flight itself is ridiculously expensive compared to lets say airbaltic. but I dont know any prices for cargo... anyone has any experience they could share ?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by k_azu View Post
Hi everyone,
So I am thinking of getting a puppy from Finland and am trying to figure out the best/cheapest way of getting him from there to UK. It seems like flying is the best way to do it as it takes less time and causes less stress for the dog and me... does anyone have any experience flying with a dog to uk from another european country? Because UK has this silly law that animals can only travel by cargo I'm trying to find the best airline for this. I know lufthansa is good but the flight itself is ridiculously expensive compared to lets say airbaltic. but I dont know any prices for cargo... anyone has any experience they could share ?
I do - plenty! But I really do have to go to bed right now as I am 2hrs ahead of the UK here and my little minpin is worried by some fireworks outside.

I will respond at length tomorrow. But it IS expensive and you DO have to use World Cargo. It is the UK rules that supercede all others if you are coming into the UK.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2013, 06:34 AM
Cheaper often to have someone fly with them and book as excess luggage
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Hi I was under the impression,that if you have a dog travelling you pay the same as you would pay for a seat for yourself.crystalgirl
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by k_azu View Post
Hi everyone,
Contact the airlines you are looking at, and ask their rates for flying livestock.

Monarch fly dogs, cant remember the rate though, some French airlines allow pets to fly in the cabin, but they have to fit in a small pet carrier.

Have you considered driving/ferry.... that might be an option.

Which ever way you do it, its NOT going to be cheap.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
Cheaper often to have someone fly with them and book as excess luggage
You CANNOT do that if the UK is your DESTINATION country. Not any more. Dogs haven't been allowed to go as 'excess baggage' into the UK for about 7yrs now.

And they changed the rules again last January 2012.

I will dig the links out in a mo. In short - I am in Cyprus and Cyprus Airways and other Airlines have very favourable terms for travelling with dogs. However right at the bottom of the terms it is made quite clear that IF THE UK IS YOUR DESTINATION THEIR RULES PREVAIL. They override the rules of the airline you are flying with.

UK insists on World Cargo. It insists on an approved pet transport company too. The animals can only be flown into the airports that have an animal reception centre (I believe Gatwick, Heathrow and one in the midlands)

You fly on the same plane if you wish. You then go to the Animal Centre (usually some miles from the airport) to get the dog.

It cost me around £1,200 to fly my 10inch high Minpin just last year. The price was fixed into the UK whatever the size of dog £580 ish. On the return journey it was by crate size and combined crate and dog weight.

It is important to know exactly what is required to avoid upset at either departure airport or arrival in UK.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi I was under the impression,that if you have a dog travelling you pay the same as you would pay for a seat for yourself.crystalgirl
You are wrong CG. You can do that with some airlines country to country and they can travel in cabin if the carrier goes under the seat usually. But not if you are coming into the UK. Pets imported into the UK have to travel as cargo.

**editing to say ASSISTANCE DOGS can be allowed in the cabin if arranged beforehand
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Contact the airlines you are looking at, and ask their rates for flying livestock.

Monarch fly dogs, cant remember the rate though, some French airlines allow pets to fly in the cabin, but they have to fit in a small pet carrier.

Have you considered driving/ferry.... that might be an option.

Which ever way you do it, its NOT going to be cheap.
Ferry is much cheaper with the EU passport. Same health checks, jabs and requirements needed. Fare cheaper. But dogs usually have to remain in the vehicle and cannot come up on board with the owners.

Regarding pets in the cabin. See above. UK rules apply if UK is the destination country. It is possible flying from other EU to EU countries. Not to the UK.

I know rabies is a terrible disease and the UK wants to remain rabies free. However they are making it more difficult and expensive every year to fly your animals with you - and I thought the advent of the EU Pet Passport Scheme was going to be the answer to my prayers!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Read this:

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

Travelling within the EU (or into the EU from another ‘listed’ country)
When travelling to or returning to the UK from another EU or non-EU listed country your pet needs:

a microchip
a rabies vaccination (make sure your pet is microchipped first or the vaccination won’t count)
You must wait 21 days from the date of the rabies vaccination before travelling.
a pet passport or official third country veterinary certificate
tapeworm treatment (for dogs only)
You must also use an authorised carrier and an approved route.
Routes and transport companies
Only certain transport companies and routes can be used to bring pet dogs, cats and ferrets into the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme. These are known as approved routes. This means they have been authorised by the AHVLA to bring pets into Great Britain under the Pet Travel Scheme and as part of that approval, are responsible for checking that the animal meets the rules of the Scheme. For pets arriving by air, the transport company may delegate those checks to a third party, such as the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow airport.
And here are the lists of approved ones:
Sea & Rail
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ail-routes.pdf
Air
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ir-routes1.pdf
k_azu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I knew all the rules and stupid regulations about flying into UK. I guess I'll just have to hope that my breeder will agree to send the puppy with cargo without me being there, because I definitely can't afford cargo for the dog and a return flight for myself... one of the pet travel agencies gave me an estimation of about 800 pounds. I expected that although was still hoping to get away with paying something like 500 pounds. If I could I would take the ferry or the euro-tunnel but I don't have a car so that's out of the question. Oh well... I guess I have a couple of months to save up that money... I just wish UK could finally realize just how stupid the rules are.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >