View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2013, 10:31 PM

Successful treatments for pigment problems?

Hi

Wondering if anyone can help??

My puppies nose is looking balder and its spoiling his lovely face.

It seems to be going higher up his face and I'm worried it's going to go all over his face.

I've changed his food a few times thinking it was allergy but looking back at puppy pics when he first came can just make out that hair at end of his nose was thinner than everywhere else on his face so wondering if its a genetic pigment thing?

I've tried Dermacton but it doesn't seem to be any better. I've had primrose oil and kelp suggested to me which I have in the house but if its genetic pigment problem will it help?

I saw something called DLE remedy for 'collie nose' but it was in australian dollars dunno if its available in uk?

tattoing was mentioned but I think thats for if pigment loss is actually on the nose to make it black again? ..not to tattoo on skin to make it look like hair is there?

Anyone tried anything that's worked and made fur grow back? I'm hoping to treat it before it gets any worse.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 06:23 AM
I have four collies and they all look very similar to your pup. It's not something I've ever noticed or worried about as it appears to be normal. I'll put up some pics of mine when we get back from our walk!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Sorry they aren't brilliant photos but I think you can see enough. Perhaps on your pup it looks as though it's going further up his nose as he grows?

Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 10:11 AM
There is nothing wrong with it. As you say its pigment. You have a black and white dog, you will get pink and black pigment.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Has no-one tried any of the remedies?

I saw someone mention they used permanant marker pen to draw black fur in and tattoo's but I thought they were talking about the actual black nose with regard to tattoing to stop it getting sunburnt and cancer been a risk.

If it's genetic shouldn't the breeder have mentioned this possibility to me before I paid for him?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by katilea View Post

I saw someone mention they used permanant marker pen to draw black fur in and tattoo's but I thought they were talking about the actual black nose with regard to tattoing to stop it getting sunburnt and cancer been a risk.

If it's genetic shouldn't the breeder have mentioned this possibility to me before I paid for him?
Why??

Are you less happy with your dog due to its pigmentation
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 10:47 AM

Seriously??
Is that what you really think???
Maybe you should call them and they will take him back, you obviously seem unhappy with a perfectly normal healthy dog. How very sad.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 10:53 AM

Remedies for what? How can you have a remedy for something that is perfectly normal? All colouring is genetic whether you are talking about dogs or people. How can the breeder know where the different coloured bits are going to be?

If you don't like his nose, then I suggest you find someone who will because you have got to look at it for the next dozen or so years!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 12:06 PM
It is simply that it is an area where the fur is very thin naturally, and because the area is white you can see it better, totally normal
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2013, 12:31 PM
looks normal to me
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »