Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pattie-pie
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2013, 07:04 AM

Cliker training info

My name is Patty and I have an Australian Shepherd. He's a 15 month old black-tri. He's a cutie. Quite sensitive, so I may be looking for information on "soft clicker" training.
Cooper is sensitive to new situations or if something visually looks different. For example: I was playing the guitar, Cooper has never seen me play a guitar, he barked, play bowed, moved in, moved out, then finally came up and smelled the instrument, then was fine. His behavior is a little erratic and I would like to make sure he is comfortable and secure in new situations without being fearful.
So if anyone has any suggestions.....
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Hi Patty and welcome.It's quite common for dogs to be neophobic, having a fear of new things, especially at his age. You can introduce Cooper to the clicker by muffling the sound inside a sock or your pocket.

I'll link some videos for you to charge the clicker and suggest you do basic training with it for a while and then watch the "Scary objects" video, which gives the dog confidence in sniffing out new and fearful things.

http://dogmantics.com/free-video-list/

http://dogmantics.com/2009/10/26/how...scary-objects/

Nicky
Pattie-pie
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks Nicky, this is great information and the websites will be helpful. I've ordered my clicker and hopefully it will be here by Friday.
Patty
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Hi Pattie the behaviour you describe is entirely normal for a puppy.

I would have given lots of praise to your puppy for being brave in the presence of a new 'monster'

There is some clicker training information here from one of our members..
Clicker Training - With Alison of Volsung Rottweilers
Pattie-pie
New Member!
Female 

18-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks for all the help with the clicker training. I will be getting my clicker tomorrow. I'm sure I will need to train myself first before I move on to Cooper. All the information I read was very helpful
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Good to hear. You won't regret it. Clicker training is the biz. Any queries and lots of folks on here will be able to give you help.

One of the mistakes a new clicker trainer may (will) make, is to click at the wrong time ie just a second too late eg the dog sits and you click as it's getting up. Don't worry, just move the dog to a slightly different position, as dogs don't generalise very well and begin again.

Please let us know how you are getting on. It's so nice to have another clicker trainer joining the club.