Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2013, 11:57 AM

Stupid raw question

Inspired by the raw feeders on here and after the recommendation of DAF suppliers, i ordered some raw products to compliment my normal food programme. This included soem little lamb legs complete with fur it turns out!!!! Do I just give them to the dogs like that?! do i need to defrost them first?
Thanks a mill!
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Defrosting or not defrosting is up to you, if it's frozen and they will eat it it will take them longer to get through it however some dogs will not eat frozen bones at first.

Malcolm is a prime example. When I first got him everything had to be defrosted and I gradually let it defrost less and less until he will now eat whatever I give him. Except for offal - offal is only eaten sensibly if frozen, if it isn't frozen it gets flung around a lot before being eaten

I'd offer it to them and see what they do fur and all

ETA- If they've never had any raw before make sure you monitor them really closely to stop them biting off and swallowing big chunks. Take it off them if they start to do that.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks Wyrekin, very much appreciated. They've had small bits of raw before (and some barer bones) so i reckon they'll handle it raw.
I'm not particualry squeamish but i have to admit i wasn't expecting the fur (which is so stupid of me) but at least it gave my husband something to laugh at me about!!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Dobionekenobi View Post
Inspired by the raw feeders on here and after the recommendation of DAF suppliers, i ordered some raw products to compliment my normal food programme. This included soem little lamb legs complete with fur it turns out!!!! Do I just give them to the dogs like that?! do i need to defrost them first?
Thanks a mill!

Yup! Complete with fur is brilliant!! Apparently, the one thing missing from the BARF diet is fur and feather - our dogs need a little fur and feather to put the icing on the cake - so lucky you being able to have DAF supplies, as yet they don't deliver to our area.

I personally would defrost first, but you don't have to, I know many raw feeders who will feed frozen or partly frozen food, although I would be concerned about the temperature drop in the gut caused by the frozen food could upset the balance of the natural flora and fauna in the gut and cause tummy upset.
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Gnasher, where in the East Mids are you? DAF deliver to Notts/Derby, and Lincs Pets are DAF suppliers based in Lincolnshire.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Dobionekenobi View Post
Thanks Wyrekin, very much appreciated. They've had small bits of raw before (and some barer bones) so i reckon they'll handle it raw.
I'm not particualry squeamish but i have to admit i wasn't expecting the fur (which is so stupid of me) but at least it gave my husband something to laugh at me about!!!
No problem I can imagine the fur being a shock I tend to feed my boys their bone meals defrosted as I think they enjoy it more I only tend to feed frozen food in summer or when I forget to get their meal out to defrost
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Pereg has her bone meals straight from the freezer. They come fresh, I pack individually in polybags and then freeze, and take out each evening's meal when it is time for it.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 02:57 PM
ive heard having furry things with their clothes on assists with worming as the hairs lift the parasites from the walls of the intestines etc
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2013, 03:00 PM
OMG i never would have thought about that!!!!!!!!

BTW i assume there's no issue with giving my nearly 6 month old dobe a furry leg every now and then? She has a standard puppy kibble (and bit of wet) the vast majority of the time.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-01-2013, 03:43 PM
You don't have to feed your puppy kibble she can eat raw with the rest of them, mine are all weaned onto raw and no one can ever believe the size of them.
Personally I would never feed frozen stuff unless maybe on a very hot day because I would worry about tummy upsets.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >