Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2012, 12:50 PM

Haltis - are they humane?

Hi - I've just checked in again and notice on the site this morning quite a lot about dog pulling when walking. An issue close to my heart and probably many others on here. In my experience walking nicely on the lead is a lifetime commitment, mind you I have always had staffies.

I see people out and about with their dogs wearing Haltis and I've always thought they look uncomfortable - I be interested in people's experiences of them and whether they'd recommend them. I have noticed already that some do - so I wonder if the consensus is that they're good or just for the lazy!! (not meant in a controversial way).
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2012, 02:10 PM
When introduced to the dog correctly AND used correctly by the owner, yes I think they are excellent tools that definitely have their place.

For many large and giant breed dog owners they are a security net. Even a large breed dog that walks perfectly 98% of the time may slip up occasionally and lets face it, most large dogs can easily over power a human. I know a lady who has a German Shepherd and a Leonberger; both walk beautifully and are well trained but she will always use head collars for them. She knows full well that if they decided to lunge one day they can easily over power her so she doesn't take the the chance.

The problem with head collars is that rarely does an owner introduce them to the dog correctly, nor do the vast majority of people know how to a.) choose the most appropriate style for their dog, b.) know how to fit them correctly and c.) know how to use them correctly. I have seen countless puppies wearing head collars, terrible fitting head collars that are either far too tight impeding the eyes or so loose they are dangerous and my least favourite sight.....someone using a head collar in combination with a Flexi (retractable) lead.

Most people go to a pet shop, buy the first one on the shelf and hope it fits then shove it on the dog as a quick fix solution to stop their dog from pulling. Of course it doesn't work that way which is why you see so many miserable dogs wearing them.

So yes they are perfectly humane when used correctly, but like any other tool they can be abused and make it very uncomfortable for the dog.
Lezley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Hi,
I agree fitted correctly they are a good tool - both of mine wear halties and walk reasonable well by my side - Samson lunges are unpredictable so it helps me to control him. I do walk mine around the garden leashed to their collars as a training excersise which is helping me and getting them used to following just slighly behind.
Lez
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2012, 05:53 PM
I don't like haltis or any device that puts pressure around the muzzle to prevent your dog pulling. I don't use any head collars, my dogs aren't perfect, neither am I, but I prefer to teach my dogs to walk to heel nicely. I appreciate that some people can't always achieve this, but there are nicer devices than halti's and those that work by putting pressure around the muzzle:

http://liziangel.blogspot.co.uk/2011...d-collars.html
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2012, 06:42 PM
I appreciate the point made that they have to be fitted and used correctly, but unfortunately how often does this happen? The majority of dogs that I have seen wearing them look dreadfully uncomfortable with the straps right under their eyes.

I have also seen a dog duck out of it's halti, with near disastrous results.

Not sure that I like them to be honest.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2012, 07:30 PM
I have seen some that seem to tolerate haltis but by far the dogs seem to look anxious and a bit skittish with them - I agree those probably weren't introduced to them properly. They just seem to look a bit sad really.

My dog has to be muzzled at all times because of his previous aggression towards other dogs - I think using a halti as well (or instead of when out on quiet lanes) is a step too far for him. He does tolerate the muzzle, which I think is because of the positive way I introduced him to it.

Interesting comments as always on here - thank you
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Hello Baxter I can't really comment on Haltis because I have never used one but I have a feeling the makers are the people responsible for the excellent adjustable lead with two clips which I do use

If people take the time to train a dog not to pull they won't need a Halti ...

How to train not to pull is described in this thread..
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=176488

Unfortunately many people are not aware of how to train and I would guess having let their puppy establish a habit of pulling then resort various anti pulling devices
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2012, 09:02 PM
i used to use a halti but as it rode up in to phoebes eyes i changed to a dogmatic. In terms of being cruel no in our case its not, not getting a walk (which is what will happen without it) is cruel. My hubby is a long distance lorry driver so a lot of the time isnt here to walk phoebe. She walks great most of the time but will go mental at dogs, cats and this is something i can only handle so much of and a few times she has gotten the better of me and cause me some bad injury's (dislocated shoulder being the worse) without the head collar i wouldn't walk her now. Its not tight, its never yanked. i use a double ended lead attached to collar and head collar its held quite loose and i would say the headcoller is only ever tight or pulled is when she is kicking off and at that point i will do anything to keep myself, my dog and other people and their dogs safe, if some slightly uncomfortable headcollar is the tool needed for that few minutes then so be it. As my dog has the right to go out and enjoy a walk so i have to make sure that is possible and safe.

i dont like them being used overly tight, being yanked as a correction, just sticking them on and not training the dog not to pull. That is wrong and cruel the same way many "tools" or "training aids" are if used wrong
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2012, 09:10 PM
I dont have issue provided they are used properly, and not as an alternative to proper training. Big dogs if they really go can go! if that makes sense.

To the same ends i have no issues with using chifney bits etc when leading horses.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Hi - absolutely understand your reasoning, mine also charges up the side of banks if he thinks there's cat up there and has caught me unawares a few times. He's not a huge dog but very strong.

A neighbour of mine is in the services and due to go to Afghanistan when his bicep was severely injured by his black labrador (on a lead) attempting to charge off after a squirrel.

Just wanted to check with you is a dogmatic the same as a control headcontroller sold in Pets at Home?

Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
i used to use a halti but as it rode up in to phoebes eyes i changed to a dogmatic. In terms of being cruel no in our case its not, not getting a walk (which is what will happen without it) is cruel. My hubby is a long distance lorry driver so a lot of the time isnt here to walk phoebe. She walks great most of the time but will go mental at dogs, cats and this is something i can only handle so much of and a few times she has gotten the better of me and cause me some bad injury's (dislocated shoulder being the worse) without the head collar i wouldn't walk her now. Its not tight, its never yanked. i use a double ended lead attached to collar and head collar its held quite loose and i would say the headcoller is only ever tight or pulled is when she is kicking off and at that point i will do anything to keep myself, my dog and other people and their dogs safe, if some slightly uncomfortable headcollar is the tool needed for that few minutes then so be it. As my dog has the right to go out and enjoy a walk so i have to make sure that is possible and safe.

i dont like them being used overly tight, being yanked as a correction, just sticking them on and not training the dog not to pull. That is wrong and cruel the same way many "tools" or "training aids" are if used wrong
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »