Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Holly's Mum
New Member!
Female 

30-11-2012, 10:04 PM

Dog Training Lowestoft

I have just moved to Lowestoft, Suffolk and there seems to be very few training schools/classes in this area which seems surprising given the number of dogs I have come across .

I am looking for a good one-to-one trainer/behaviourist and wondered if anyone could recommend someone?

Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Hello Holly's mum
If you are looking for a behaviourist (to deal with a particular problem rather than training) your vet should be able to refer you to one and if you have your dog insured the cost may be covered by your insurance.

I would want someone who belongs to an organisation with a code of conduct like the APBC.
There is information and a list on this site..
http://www.apbc.org.uk/apbc/memberlist
That is not to say there aren't other good behaviourists out there but I would choose one with care.

To find a Trainer you could try contacting a local member of the APDT (they also have a code of conduct ) to see if they can recommend anyone or to attend classes. Here is a list..

http://www.apdt.co.uk/dog-owners/local-dog-trainers
Holly's Mum
New Member!
Female 

01-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Many thanks for the links. I do have some issues with Holly which I need some help with, for example she is dog reactive particularly when she is on the lead, so I was hoping to find a one-to-one trainer (rather than perhaps a behaviourist) initially with a view to eventually being able to attend classes.

I see from the second link that there is a trainer in Gorleston, Norfolk and also one in Corton, Suffolk which are both pretty close to me and have also come across the Norfolk and Suffolk Dog School - so will investigate further .

If, in the meantime, anyone in this area could recommend someone, or alternatively let me know who I should avoid, I would be most grateful .
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Hello, I'm from Lowestoft.
Waggy Tails in Weston nr Beccels is the best in the area, take a look at their web site. I think Sheena is the best for Training & she is also a Behaviourist, Sid for tricks & agility.
They have a large indoor school & 3 fenced outside areas with different ground cover. phone 01502 717460 .

I would not reconmend Suffolk Dog School. If the Corton one is Lee Darby I think she only does puppy classes!!!
I rest are either Ring Craft or Dog Clubs which usually means the trainers are run volunteers. and some of their training is dated.

It's aways a good idea to visit & see if it is the one for you & your dog.

Hope you like living in Lowestoft. You can phone me if I can help. 01502 574388.

Good Luck.
Yvonne.
Holly's Mum
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2012, 04:54 PM
That's brilliant - thanks Yvonne!
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Holly's Mum View Post
That's brilliant - thanks Yvonne!
Let me know how you get on.

I forgot to add that Sheena ran "A Growler Class" just for reactive dogs etc: Don't know if she still does!