Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-12-2012, 10:30 AM

Great recall results

I have a Westie whom I've kept on lead (extendable) because she gets so carried away with the outside world she wouldn't respond to recall if she had the slightest of distractions.

So recently I've changed tack and instead of using her name I started afresh and taught her that "WUB" means I have chicken for her.

After hundreds of repetitions of the command around the house and garden I started using it outdoors on the extendable and as soon as she got the chicken I would let her run around again.

I moved on to letting her off lead with nobody around and today was the biggest test.
Lots of dogs go to my local field on Sunday morning so today, I let her off lead to go and play with them.

She was having a great time running around in a group of ten other dogs, I gave the "WUB" command and she stopped dead in her tracks and shot back to me so I gave her the chicken and let her go back to playing.
She gets the reward and gets to go back to playing, what could be better than that. Can't tell you how pleased I am with Daisy's progress.

I actually stayed longer than normal to observe the other dogs and more than half of the owners struggled to get the dogs back on lead when required as they had inadvertently taught them that the recall mean game over.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2012, 12:13 PM
That's good Shane I use the word 'Treat' for a similar purpose.
ThatSmallGirl
New Member!
Female 

09-12-2012, 12:49 PM
yay well done daisy!
Oscydoscy
New Member!
Female 

11-12-2012, 05:29 PM
oooh!! Thanks for that. I may give that a try. I am teaching Oscar "come" with limited success but i may try a totally unrelated word
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-12-2012, 05:34 PM
My word/s for Pereg are "here you are" and bingo, here she is!
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Well done.

I can highly recommend using a whistle, I trained mine to 'come' and to a whistle, so if I forgot the whistle I could fall back on 'come'

My 2 old girls are both quite deaf now but can still hear the whistle, if I forget the whistle I have to shout at the top of my voice which makes me sound angry. Luckily they never wander very far off and and always keep me in sight [something else I trained for when they were pups]
Kaska
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Well done, great to hear a recall success

Woody will respond to 'come' if he thinks I have a treat but if not, forget it ...

However, when I've been giving him treats, exciting toys or indicating some food that has been dropped on the floor I inadvertantly say 'What's this?'. After unsuccessfully trying to get Woody in from the garden I said 'What's this??' and his ears pricked and he came haring over! Just got to remember to always have something for him next time I say it
Adamyork
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Thats good to hear, i Am having trouble with recalling so for now kaya stays on a lead in public but in the garden she tears off at any slight distraction and only comes back when shes ready, its strange because in the house she never leaves my side, she follows me from room to room like a shadow yet out side she likes to do her own thing

I will try your idea and let u know what happens in a dew weeks
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2012, 11:48 AM
that's great Shane - good thinking! I now usually use "Bella, here" for Bella but her emergency recall is a squeeky ball - she is totally ball obsessed and when we hit a rocky patch with recall when she was around 1 I introduced her to playing with a squeeky ball, then when out the minute she heard the squeek she knew it meant I was going to throw the ball for her - it worked great. My proudest moment was when I managed to recall her instantly with the squeek mid rabbit chase!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2012, 01:36 PM
i do this. If i shout 'tea time' phoebe comes running no matter what. I do feel a bit of a tool though
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >