Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2012, 07:15 AM

Stand still with toilet training

We have had wiggins for a month now, he is just over 12 weeks and we seem to be going backwards with toilet training. He got really good over night in his crate i was getting up every 3 hours with him to let him out and was just starting to spread them out by 10 mins and he started having accidents so went to getting up every 2, i was having to wake him up for that so begun spreading out again. Now he is whining every hour and a half and has pood in his crate every night this week, most nights twice! He has a vet bed which is spending most the time on a hot was at the moment! I am totally stuck now with what to do next.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-11-2012, 07:43 AM
In my experience we think we have cracked it then backwards we go.

I have never used a crate so can only tell you how I did it which was to just clean up the mess no grumbling and kept up with the taking out and praising and treating when they do go to the toilet outside.

Your puppy is still very young.

They do get it in the end.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Hi Jess as Lynn says it is early days yet and your puppy is still very much a baby.

I always take a new puppy upstairs at night and have it next to my bed in a box. It goes to sleep quite quickly in the dark and the sound of a human breathing is very comforting for a vulnerable puppy which has just left the security of its dam and littermates . It is not surprising really that a small animal will feel extremely vulnerable when separated from the protection of its dam and some will actual cry out in the hope that 'protection' will arrive.

The puppy will wake and cry if it needs to go out and can be quickly taken out and returned to the box to sleep so no messy kitchens or prolonged crying.

Having the puppy with you also helps with the bonding process and gives the puppy chance to gain a little confidence before being left alone for a long period like all night. I find puppies which are not forced to be alone straight after leaving the dam don't have problems with separation, this is probably because they haven't had the chance to become fearful of being left alone so don't associate being alone with the feeling of fear.

I gradually get the puppy used to being left alone for short periods during the day usually after a meal and a play when it is ready to sleep and is relaxed.
Once the puppy has gained a little confidence and has gradually got used to being left it can be moved to the kitchen if necessary.

I appreciate for various reasons not everyone will choose to have a puppy with them overnight but I have always trained puppies this way I have never had the slightest problem with house training or with dogs not wanting to be seperated from me using this method . I note that a number of well regarded dog people including Gwen Bailey say having a puppy with you at night is the thing to do ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Bailey
Suddenly leaving the security of the mother and littermates, coming to a new household and then being left totally alone at night in the dark can be very frightening for a new puppy, especially if the breeder has not taken the time to get each puppy used to being alone before they go to their new homes.
Since this can cause some sensitive puppies to be prone to separation problems later in life, my advice is to take the puppy up to the bedroom for the first few weeks, confined to a high-sided box or crate so that it can be with you, but not get too close.
Then, when the puppy is used to the house, used to being parted from its mother and littermates, and has got used to being left alone for short periods of time, it can go down to the kitchen at night times.
This method is less traumatic for the puppy and has the added advantage that you are able to get up and take the puppy out when it wakes up in the middle of the night, thereby avoiding the puppy learning to use the kitchen floor as a toilet.

(Taken from the Gwen Bailey author and dog Behaviour website )
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2012, 07:01 PM
I had him in my room for a while but stopped the first time we took a step back in training to protect my carpet as the little darling aims out of his crate and my carpets are cream, i think i will take him back up and put his crate on something more washable! He was alone for too long today as i got stuck in traffic, he had 2 meals in him and did nothing so i am really pleased, it maybe is an attention/security thing in the night.
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Have found that post really helpful, Minihaha! Am currently storing up puppy-knowledge for a year's time lol.

Regarding Wiggins; I don't know what it's like where you are but here random fireworks are being let off at various intervals. Whisper notices them *straight* away! Just wondered if that is a possiblity.

Hope things progress well for the little chap xx
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2012, 10:33 PM
I have been trying to desinsitize him to fireworks he heard a loud one in the garden earlier and ran in but that is the first time he has noticed, i think sometimes when i let him out he trys to stay awake until i let him out again, that is definitely what he was doing last night! When he is tired he has accidents.