Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cheflady1
New Member!
Female 

24-09-2012, 10:38 AM

Staffy pup

hi all you doggie lovers.Please can you help me, my 16wk old pup who was fully housed trained is peeing all over the house even when he as just been outside, he even does it in front of us. He never does it in his crate no matter how long he is in there.Please some body help at my wits end and my hubby says he as got to go if it dosnt stop which will break my heart.We just cannot understand it, we are both experienced staffy owners and never had this problem before
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2012, 10:44 AM
First thing I would do take him the vets. Bring along a urine sample and they should be able to analyze it there and then to rule out any urinary tract infections.

If he gets the all clear it, he isn't fully housetrained yet. Puppies can have weeks of being clean in the house and then relapse -- one of mine did at that age. In that case it is a question of going back to the basics as you would with a very young puppy.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-09-2012, 10:47 AM
I'd say don't give him access to all over your house, try and confine him to a few easily cleaned rooms. I'd say check he doesn't have a uti but as he doesn't go in his crate at all that's unlikely. Go back to the very beginning and start over with house training. Let him out every hour, after feeding, after sleeping and after exercise. In my experience it's a tad early to expect them to be fully house trained at 16 weeks although they should be well on the way. The weather may be a contributary factor if it's anything like ours at the moment, standing outside in the piddling rain for 20 mins this morning I was less than chuffed when the pup came in a pee'd on the rug but it happens and was my fault for coming in too soon. Tell your OH to get a grip it won't last forever and whatever all your previous dogs did is irrelevant they ain't this dog and this dog will do it in his own good time. Patience.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Well to be honest, he is only 16 wks old, and your hubby is already threatening to get rid because pup is being a pup.

What happens when you get over this, and pup does something else your Hubby says "he has to go"

I think you need to re-evaluate whether you (as a family) can cope with what is to come , biting,. chewing, and so on, is the response always going to be "he has to go"!

If so, send pup back to the breeder now, so he can be homed with people who understand what is involved with young puppies.

As others have said, take him to the vet to see if he has any problem........... OR, tell your hubby to get real!
boneo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by cheflady1 View Post
hi all you doggie lovers.Please can you help me, my 16wk old pup who was fully housed trained is peeing all over the house even when he as just been outside, he even does it in front of us. He never does it in his crate no matter how long he is in there.Please some body help at my wits end and my hubby says he as got to go if it dosnt stop which will break my heart.We just cannot understand it, we are both experienced staffy owners and never had this problem before

Hopefully, your vet will rule out any medical problem.

Does your pup get over-excited which can cause pups to be less consistent in their ability to 'wait' to go outside. If so, maybe playtime has to be shortened before he reaches the level that tips him over.

Or, is he very submissive and is he picking up on yours and OH's frustration for one accident which in turn makes him urinate inappropriately?

Other than that I'd go back to basics - out every hour, after meals, after playtime and as soon as he wakes up.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2012, 06:19 AM
If the other half say's he will have to go, after this short amount of time... What chance have you, or more importantly, the Pup got? Without even finding out wether there may be a problem. I suppose the oh, doesn't want to spend too much money on the poor thing either? Time and Teamwork are what is needed. Not Rows, especially at this time of the Pups life!
(ps, and they wonder why Dogs get a bad name???)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2012, 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by cheflady1 View Post
Hiya, I often find that when people say their dog is fully house trained what they really mean is THEY are fully house trained.

IE that they are very vigilant and take the dog out at times and a frequency which mean the chances of accidents are very slim.

I am one of those people.

I think the term "fully house trained" means different things to different people.

To me, it means that the dog fully understands the concept of where elimination is and is not appropriate; has sufficient control to be able to "hang on" a bit and can communicate the need to eliminate to their owners.

So, outwith a bladder/urinary tract infection and also considering whether the dog is cold (this sudden change in temperature can trigger urination) or any other health issue, why not go back to basics and treat the pup as a 7 week old and keep a diary which will better enable you to determine the actual frequency/times/behaviours so that you can put a plan together to improve?
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2012, 07:24 AM
I agree with Smokeybear - when we first got Pepe at eight weeks accidents were very rare because I was watching him closely for signs that he needed to go, and also putting him out in the garden frequently. After a few weeks I told myself he was housetrained and assumed there would be no problems, but I started to find little puddles. So, I'm back to going for a wander round the garden with him several times a day.

Hope the problem resolves itself for you and your puppy soon.