register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Culling!
A natural part of being a responsible breeder 25 73.53%
Just plain wrong 9 26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-08-2005, 12:02 PM

Culling of puppies with physical defects - what is your view?

How do you all feel about this????

Do you think that all puppies born with physical defects should be pts or do you think every puppy should be given a chance?

Is it doing your breed a dis-service if breeders produce unhealthy dogs and then pass these dogs on as pets?

I do NOT mean puppies that don't fit the breed standard (e.g white Boxers) just physical defects!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Owing to the number of healthy dogs in rescue I am inclined to think that it is best to PTS at a day old any the vet feels are not likely to live a full and healthy life.

There are not enough homes for the number of dogs so it would seem silly to keep those who will add to the problem and not lead a life of the best possible quality. Not saying if kept alive some will not have a happy life if they are lucky enough to come upon the right owners but there will always be those who don’t and will live a deprived life at best and a chance of one of discomfort and pain at worse.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2005, 12:18 PM
would depend on the defect to be honest ...if it ment a pup would not live a healthy life then i would think it may well be kinder to PTS
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Owing to the number of healthy dogs in rescue I am inclined to think that it is best to PTS at a day old any the vet feels are not likely to live a full and healthy life.
This is something that came into my mind.

Originally Posted by Inca
would depend on the defect to be honest ...if it ment a pup would not live a healthy life then i would think it may well be kinder to PTS
I was thinking of defects like:

puppy head gland disease,open fontanelle,swimmers,hydrocephalus to name a few.

which should all be known to serious breeders
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2005, 12:46 PM
I have never had to think to much about it so to be honest i can't say what i would do unless i was faced with it
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2005, 12:56 PM
if it was defect that could be treated or operated on to give the pup a normal life i wouldn't cull if it was defects that you can't do anything about and will affect quality of life etc then i think it would be better to cull for the dogs sake not that i would find it easy to do.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2005, 01:49 PM
I would not like to have to make a decision like that. But like others have said depends on the scale of deformaties and what quality of life the pups would have.

I read some where cant remember........ that some breeders of large breeds ... i.e ...... Great danes, cull pups that that they dont have homes for.... dont know how true this is,
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2005, 02:28 PM
as others have said, it depends on the defect. If it were my litter and there was a defected pup that could still lead a normal life, then i would keep that one instead of taking pick of the litter so that i knew the pup would always be in good hands.
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2005, 02:32 PM
If its something serious then i agree if its just that its deaf or a wrong shaped toe etc then no, i think it would be hard to draw a distinct line between to two though for instance blindness if a puppy is born blind is it cruel to keep it alive in a way i think it is more so than being deaf.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Agree with some of the others - depends on whether the pup could lead a pain-free, healthy life.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >