Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 07:24 AM

Teaching deaf dogs recall

Where I go to dog school they are about to have a deaf dog in for lessons, and I wondered if anyone with experience has any hints as to thier training especially recall .
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Yeah. I have 3 deaf dogs, one with a nearly 100% recall, and 2... well, we wont get into them LOL.

Mostly training deaf dogs is easy, using hand signals, and if clicker training, having a specific sign for a "click" or a light.

Recall is different. Deaf dogs obviously cant be verbally called back, however. many have used a vibrating collar (the vibrate is the recall cue, or the vibrate is the look at me cue then you cue the desired behaviour) It is not used like a shock collar (you vibrate until the dog complies) it is a cue only. Or you can do what I did with Scout. I taught her to check in every few seconds (using the ping pong dog game). Once this is really reliable, you can let them off leash, no issue. Scout is perfectly safe off leash, as she is ALWAYS looking back to see if maybe, possibly I might just call her and give her a treat!!! LOL

I have a bunch of videos and stuff I've done of my three.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Get the dog focussed on the handler. It's the most successful way to get a good recall as the dog learns to keep its eye on its owner even when out and about.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 08:03 AM
My friends deaf pointer checks in regularly and recalls to a highly coloured fleece.

rune
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
My friends deaf pointer checks in regularly and recalls to a highly coloured fleece.

rune
I like that one!!! I know that with Mouse, we are only hampered in how many things I can teach her, by my imagination for cues that she can see (15-2-% vision, completely deaf) or smell LOL We've just started exploring the world of scent cues
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 08:35 AM
A teaching friend used scents with severly disabled children, to indicate what would be happening next---so rosemary for mornings, lime for lunchtime and relaxing lavender for afternoons etc.

I don't know if it worked, I did manage to send mt very lively group off to sleep once with lavender burning for a long time!

rune
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Lottie on here is a trainer and also owns a Deaf dalmatian!
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks for your reply's everyone, it is a Dalmatian and it should start on wednesday, so I have some translating to do
pippa01
New Member!
Male 

07-09-2012, 04:36 PM
This is either a dominance issue, or your dog was not socialized right and may not have learned proper "dog language." My dog when I got her was that way, is is a submissive dog, but loved to get in other dogs faces and crawl on them and lick them, but being as I know a lot about dog behavior, I was able to teach her how to actually "be a dog."

I suggest that you get a behaviorist, they will be able to tell you which of these pertain to your dog and how you can fix it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >