View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2012, 05:49 PM

9 days since I started Whisper on raw....

..... and it's gone very well so far!

We've had a couple of 'hairy' days where she wouldn't eat but that's pretty normal for Whisper anyway. There wer also some days where she only ate 1/2 of her allocated portion in the first few days.

I'm using the Raw to Go minces - a variety of flavours with whizzed up veg mixed in.

The only thing that bothers me is that Whisper is a *lot* happier if the raw meat has a spoonful or so of Butchers in Gravy mixed in.

I do plan to try and wean her off it but at the moment it makes the difference between her eating it eagerly and her looking at the food as if it's poison.

Will adding the Butchers be a problem at all nutritionally-wise?? I'm not worried about the whole 'different rate of digestion' theory as I've frequently read on here that this is not a problem at all.

She's also getting her usual supplements too of course - Entrodex, Cetyl-M, Yumove and Omega Oil. I want to add Dorwest Keepers Mix / Easy Green too next month.

She didn't go for it eagerly at all at first but she's now eating her food really well and am happy.

Oh; and it's most definitely a labour of love. I had read about the smell of Green Tripe but nothing really fully prepared me for it! Nor did anything fully prepare for how vile it looks in a dish lol!!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 04:31 PM
yey glad its going well! yep tripe will do that for you, wait till you feed it hungover

the butchers gravy isnt really a problem, but i wouldnt be giving it because shes eating the food because it tastes like her old food. i dont know i guess i would just be stricter and do the whole "if its not eaten in half an hour pick it up and they go hungry" rule. thats just me though.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Hanlou View Post
Oh; and it's most definitely a labour of love. I had read about the smell of Green Tripe but nothing really fully prepared me for it! Nor did anything fully prepare for how vile it looks in a dish lol!!
Whatever you do, do NOT make the mistake of making tripe cake (like liver cake but with tripe). The smell...OMG THE SMELL!!!

I'd say now that she's used to raw and will eat it with the Butchers gravy in it's time to start dropping it. Maybe put a bit less in for a few days, then a bit less until you're not putting any in.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Whatever you do, do NOT make the mistake of making tripe cake (like liver cake but with tripe). The smell...OMG THE SMELL!!!

I'd say now that she's used to raw and will eat it with the Butchers gravy in it's time to start dropping it. Maybe put a bit less in for a few days, then a bit less until you're not putting any in.
why would you attempt to make tripe cake?!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Actually the real no-no is to try to defrost a chunk in the microwave.
The house becomes uninhabitable for several hours.....
I serve tripe chunks still slightly frozen these days.
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2012, 09:12 PM
LOL I *won't* be making tripe cake I can assure you!

I will be cutting down the Butchers in the hope of weaning Whizzy off it altogether. I swear there's something weirdly addictive in the stuff lol!

She is eating amazingly well at the moment! Clearing her dish - asking for food both morning and evening and then asking for more in the past two days! Which is frankly pretty unheard of for my girl so I will grin and bear the stinky tripe and carry on lol.

The worst thing is that because of her various neuroses she won't eat in the kitchen / dining room (don't ask!) so she eats in the front room with her dishes on a mat. So we to get to smell tripe as we sit and watch telly. Lovely!

The things we do eh......
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Never feed tripe when you have take away on the way, the smell sticks to your skin for ages.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2012, 04:06 PM
I never defrost it
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Mine get tripe by the frozen block... The thought of it defrosting is enough to gross me out!
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-09-2012, 10:40 AM
It sounds like Whisper is doing quite well on her raw diet

My boys are on day 6 of being feed Raw. Coles was always fed a raw diet up until he was 8.

This is Buster first full time on a raw diet. I gave him a chicken carcass and he had a little bit and didn't want anymore.

The next day I tried him again and he woolfed it up. He must not have been hungry the previous night

So I give the boys turkey backs, chicken carcass and raw meat (chicken, duck, turkey and tripe). Obviously not all at the same time. Will be trying Buster with chicken wings, maybe rabbit and other meats. I do need to get a chest freeze, so I feel a little restricted on what I can buy for them.

Buster has a beef allergy so he does not have the turkey and tripe.

Buster has taken to being fed raw as if he's always been fed it. I'm really pleased I've not had any problems with him eating raw.

P.S I let the tripe defrost, sometimes naturally, sometimes in the microwave, but I'm that used to the smell it doesn't bother me. I brought some lamb mince once and I defrosted it in the microwave and I was nearly sick at the smell.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >