Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Glynis Bell
New Member!
Female 

11-08-2011, 01:35 PM

Dementia

Hi. Just registered hoping someone can help. Molly my 15 year old Lurcher hs bee waking us up with constnt barking for 6months ow. She does not need to go out, just moves to another part of the house an gos to sleep. Our vet thinks she has dementia and tried her on Activait which made no difference. Sh has now been on Vivitonin for 2mths. After 2 weeks she stopped waking us up, this lasted 3wks then she started again. Has anyone any advice?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Go to vet there are lots of thing that can be given to old dogs nowadays to improve the quality of their lives and yours.

eg Selgian
Vivitonin etc
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 03:08 AM
If she does have dementia, there are meds you can give to slow down the progress, but nothing reverses it.

Other things you can do is try to engage her minds during the day, teach her new commands/tricks, have her "work" for treats, food. Regular exercise and a set routine will help also.

Antioxidants and EFA's are vital to brain health also.

Sorry you are going through this. My girl is showing signs of this too.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 06:05 AM
Sorry to hear your oldie is suffering. I had an old dog with dementia, sadly now no longer with me.

No advice, just some hugs xx
Glynis Bell
New Member!
Female 

13-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks. I will be speaking to our vet on Monday rgarding her medication. Apart from the barking during the night she is in reay good condition for her age. It's us who are suffering more than she is from lack of sleep!!!!
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi
Our 14 yr old Heinz 57,Buster has dementia
We tried Vivitonin which didnt seem to help,then Aktivait,which he has been on for about 10 mths now and which has helped a great deal
I also have heard of another medication being used -not sure if its called Anipryl

Buster used to wake us up as early as 3 oclock,but would then pace ,sometimes for 6 or 7 hours before he lay down
Now he will sleep till 5 or even later and then once he has been out for a wee,he will just lie down.
He still does wander round staring as if he looking for someone or something but he is much happier in himself
He still enjoys his food and his walks and still recognises us and wags his tail

We lost our other dog ,Lulu,sadly in January,very suddenly
Her and Buster had come to us together 14 yrs ago and he DOTED on her and got very distressed if they were ever separated
He hasnt even noticed she has gone-which is very sad for us to think about after the way he was with her-but I suppose is good for Buster as I think he would have pined so much for her
I do hope you can get something to help Molly as it is very distressing for all concerned
The lack of sleep you are experiencing I can completely relate to-both me and O.H were exhausted when he was at his worst
Good luck-
Maureen
Buster sends Molly a big hug too
Glynis Bell
New Member!
Female 

14-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks. I asked my vet about Amipryl because I had read about it, but he said he didn't like it because of side effects and preferred Viviitonin. We also tried Activait for a month but no improvement. Im going to ask about Amipryl again tomorrow. Thanks again.
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Hi Glynis
Hope you get something sorted for Molly
We saw no improvement for the first month we tried Buster on Aktivait but decided to give it longer and it certainly has helped
We were actually advised by our vet to get in from the Internet-rather than from the vet-We paid about £29 for 2 mths supply from Viovet-much much cheaper than what the vet charged us
Good luck again
Big hug to Molly from Buster
Maureen
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Hi Glynis
Was thinking of you the last few days
Was just wondering if you spoke to the vet and what he said?

Buster sends big hugs to Molly-
(he actually had a little play with a frisbee today in the garden-something he hasnt done for ages)
Sending YOU big hugs too as I know how worrying it can be
Maureen
Glynis Bell
New Member!
Female 

17-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Hi. I spoke to our vet on Monday and he wants to try her on Selgian. He has ordered the tabs which we can pick up tomorrow. He says they could take couple of weeks to take effect if they ar going to do. I've stopped the Vivitonin so it should be out of her system when she starts the Selgian. Funnily enough she has slept till 6.30 last 2 mornings.
Thanks, will keep you posted!!

Glynis
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >