Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2012, 09:33 PM

Toileting

My rescue staffie x has an incredible ability to hold on to his pee and poo.

He normally has two walks and invariably pees and poos whilst out walking, he drinks a lot and pees for a very long time.

Today we took him out midday on quite a long walk and decided not to take him out for his second walk, we tried to get him out in the garden several times and he would not go. At about 10.00pm he was restless, i told my OH that he probably needed to go out, but my OH said he just ran upstairs, I was suspicious and when I went upstairs he had peed on the bed (the dog not my OH!).

He just will not ask to go out and I'm not sure how to teach him that. I take him into the garden and he hovers near the door wanting to go back in, eventually he'll come into the garden proper and when he pees or poos I praise him but next time I have to go through it again.

Any observations would be gratefully received.

Sandy
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2012, 09:00 AM
I would just keep on doing what you are doing, and he is giving you signals (being restless). Just be patient and maybe wait outside in the garden a little bit longer, be boring and wait for him to get ready.

Or, take him for a short walk around the block as many dogs find it easier and more natural to go if they get to move a bit instead of just standing in the garden.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-08-2012, 10:00 AM
My 6 year old collies hates going in the garden.
I don't give him a chance not to in the evening, I am not taking him a walk at 10pm so I stand with him as long as it takes and always have a biscuit for when he has been. Now he knows the procedure and starts looking for a spot as soon as we go out, still takes him a while to actually go though.
aron
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-08-2012, 12:20 PM
its all about smell use strong scent in the house to stop peeing inside making it more off a game to go outside if they think you dont mind being out there then they will get the message good to pee outside a treat goes a long way if pee in house you must put out straight away so a good connection comes about gooooood luck.......p.s as a rescue dog they dont get the attension all the time so learnt to hold as they dont like messing in pens its just breaking the habit
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2012, 08:12 PM
thanks for all your responses, glad to know he's not the only dog out there that will not "go" voluntarily or happily. He's been for his second walk today, so will try him again in about an hour and I bet I'll be facing some resistance to going out the back door.

Aron - so sad to think they learn to hold (probably for too long) whilst in kennels, so sad.