Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 04:25 PM

Working from home - scam or not?

In a desparate bid to find a way of earning an income - it has been zero for 9 months and I don't get benefits - I have been searching the internet for possible opportunities to work from home, so the dogs don't have to be left (plus the landlord insists they are outside if I am not here, not very safe! )
I have found two websites. The first says absolutely nothing about what is involved despite being a well laid out website with so-called "true success stories" which also say absolutely nothing. In the other, which is very hard sell "American" style, the type is so small I can't read it! When I hit the "back button," I got a pop-up asking why I was leaving without placing an order!!!! Since then, someone has emailed me from the organisation, again no concrete information, but want me to BUY a FIVE HOUR CD which should tell me everything I need to know. Haven't asked the price - but 5 hours of possibly hard sell is putting me off BIG TIME!!!!
Maybe I should set up a "guaranteed big income, no catches" website and sell useless CDs at £39.99 or whatever, maybe it's a clue as to how I will become rich!
Or am I being cynical? Does anyone else have any experience of this kind of set up?

Gill (older and a BIT wiser I hope )
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-08-2005, 04:40 PM
lol sounds like a scam to me
Do you want a partner in your useless cd business
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Does sound a bit funny like them adverts u see stuck to posts in town centre. Try lookin in local papers, job centre if u havent already. Also there are a few job sites on the net like online job centres they e-mail u through details that match what your looking for.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Sounds dubious if you have to shell out any money then it's def a scam, but hard sell is a big no no to me, if anybody calls me on the phone to sell anything I hang up without listening.
Dont do it is my advice
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Being outside the UK, there are no jobcentres as such and the equivalent is FAS, not that efficient and seems to cater for (no pun intended) hotel and restaurant staff, bar people etc.
I have applied for 49 jobs, had only 1 interview and then they decided not to recruit. If I want to work in Dublin, all the jobs are there but I would be travelling for 7 hours a day just getting there and back Out in the sticks it's a case of who you know...... mainly family businesses, plus I am a foreigner and a woman! The few Agencies (one or two per county) are totally useless and I thought the UK ones were bad enough. References are a problem as I haven't worked in Ireland, they are reluctant to make an International call to previous employers! I am also told I am over qualified I give up!
I have two projects in mind but neither will bring in any revenue for at least 12 months... better get started now
So much for the Irish government talking of full employment!!!!!! I think I will write to An Taoiseach and complain.....

Gill
Tom
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Just watch what your buying from there!!
There could be anything on that disk they are trying to flog you !
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 05:33 PM
HI Gill

I work from home for a homeworking company - but as a travel agent - so what do you do ? what are you trained for and perhaps ther is a company who lets people work from home doing whatever you are trained for ??

dani
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 05:43 PM
how about setting up an ebay business u just need to find somewhere that will sell u goods on trade, or buy off ebay to sell on ebay, but u gotta do ur market research to know wot sells

orrrr, u could set up a dog walking business?
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 05:55 PM
I work from home for a homeworking company - but as a travel agent - so what do you do ? what are you trained for and perhaps ther is a company who lets people work from home doing whatever you are trained for ??
I am a qualified accountant but UK qualified so although it is -sort of -recognised here, in practise it doesn't have much weight. Irish businesses outside Dublin are a little behind the times too, hardly anyone has a website or uses the internet and homeworking hasn't reached rural Ireland yet! Great suggestion - but I have tried that one...... to do it in my own right I need PI insurance which is very expensive, plus need to catch up on the tax laws here, VAT is different too.

how about setting up an ebay business u just need to find somewhere that will sell u goods on trade, or buy off ebay to sell on ebay, but u gotta do ur market research to know wot sells

orrrr, u could set up a dog walking business?
More great ideas, I am thinking about ebay in fact, need to do some research.......
Dog walking no good, no-one walks their dogs here they are left to roam around, I even suggested to the vets that I started up a cattery and they said "what's a cattery?" when I explained, they said that people around here just chuck them out when they go away and hope that they are still around when they get back!

Keep those ideas coming folks, I AM listening and appreciate any help.

Gill
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 09:58 PM
I am a scientist with a degree in chemistry and experience and I love writing. I'm writing books but have recently applied for a home working Research Writer position, hoping to bring in some readies while I justify being at home and writing.

Could you do this from a financial/economic perspective? They are quite fastidious and require proof and examples of previous academic writing, eg thesis.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >