Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverdottie
Dogsey Junior

23-08-2004, 06:10 PM

GSP's

Hi everyone,
just wondering if anyone knows about/owns a german shorthaired pointers and can tell me about their characters and things like that.

thanx from ld x
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2004, 06:11 PM
i am far from an expert but personally i have heard they are lovely dogs but extremely active and need brain and body exercise aplenty
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Very energetic, smart and willing to please. Cheerful and friendly. Likes children. Loyal and protective. Loves all family members equally, especially if they are carrying the leash, car keys, gun or Frisbee(TM)! Very people oriented and not happy if isolated from the family. If exercised sufficiently once or twice a day, the German Shorthair makes a very agreeable family companion. If left to his own devices for long periods, without exercise or companionship, he can become destructive and nervous. Males tend to be more outgoing and are more aggressive hunters than females. Females tend to be less dominant. Energy levels vary somewhat, as litters bred for high performance field competition may require more activity than the average Shorthair. If raised with other dogs and cats from puppyhood, the German Shorthair does quite well, however, he is a hunting dog by nature.
liverdottie
Dogsey Junior

23-08-2004, 08:18 PM
thanx gems and katyb...does any one else have any more info?....or are there any owners?
ld xx
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

23-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi Ld - Dont htink we have any GSD Dogwebbers at present.. best thing to do is go to google.co.uk and search for 'German Shorthaired pointes'

Good luck!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Hi Liverdotty A lady living in a house behind me always has two, I have lived here for 23 years and she has had five in that time. Hers are lovely dogs quiet and well behaved but they are gundogs and need lots of excersise. I meet the lady behind when I am out down the fields, she is home all day and walks miles everyday with her dogs and they love to go in the river too. I don't think GSPare really suitable for small houses or to be in a town with little excercise, they look fantastic runing across the fields.
Lizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-08-2004, 10:32 AM
They are wonderful dogs!

Last summer we stabled the horses at a farm in Somerset whilst attending a 3 day show down there, the owners of the place bred German Shorthaired Pointers infrequently and we met all their dogs. Theirs were working gundogs and absolutely gorgeous, if ever I had more time I'd definately be lining up for one of their pups