Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 04:37 PM

Moss Again

well we went to vets theyn weighed him etc and said his weight was fine and he'd probably just dropped his coat. They also said if we want to build him up feed their such n such expensive diet. So he's having more meat at the moment with his dry. Also got him some conditon tablets and cod liver oil. Today went to uncles (where he is coz bitches are in season) i found a great big graze on his neck so he cant go training as no way am i putting a collar on the poor lads neck. Whats the best thing to put on it we have washed it with salt water and cut the fur that was by it. He really cant stay out of trouble recently.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 05:57 PM
I would just keep bathing it with the salt water or try vinegar, the mild acid in vinegar inhibits the growth of organisms that cause infection.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 09:26 PM
It does make me cross when vets try to push expensive food (which they no doubt earn a large mark-up on ) how did we manage before I wonder????
I found a good way of building up a dog is to feed Butcher's Tripe, the tinned version (slightly less obnoxious in smell than the original) in addition to the usual diet.
Polo gets Evening Primrose capsules (2 a day) for his coat which seems beneficial - on a short coated dog every blemish stands out like a beacon
Let us know how you get on

Gill
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Young dogs, particularly males, are inclined to be on the light side till they mature. It seems the same with most animals including humans. Think the body leaves the building of muscle till after all the bone construction is complete, which happens a good deal later than most of us think, we are talking over 18 months and sometimes 30.