Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 11:29 AM

Your dog car set ups.

I need a push to get a car - well to start learning to drive - so please can you share your car set ups (I'm also very nosey too!)
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Honda Civic with custom dog guard ...
You want pics ?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Go for it Aimee! You'll have so much freedom and you'll never look back

I have a Honda CR-V with a hatchbag, barjo guard and tailgate, and a tuffies dog bed in it.

Its quite a big 4x4 car so probably not good for new driver, but there are some brilliant cars out there that would suit you perfectly!
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 11:37 AM
I have a Fiat 500c........and it's not at all doggy friendly, so don't get one of those!
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

As much as possible I put mine in the back of the pick up (a Mitsubishi L200), it just saves totally saves the actual cabin of the car getting all dirty and smelly. Four wheel drive is always handy about here too!! Hehe

If I'm out at work and take them, they go in the boot of my work car (with the parcel shelf taken out), which has a dog guard (just a cheapo one I got off Amazon) and a boot protector. It's really not big enough to fit all three in though, J&C go together ok but only becuase they will happily sleep right next to each other.

The other car is the "good" car - no dogs allowed!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I started driving in Micra - bit small but it did the job, seats went down and mutts had their harnesses attached to the metal rings with their leads. When I bought the Focus (hatchback - didn't want the extra size of an estate), I decided to kit it out properly.

Hatchbag to keep it waterproof and stave away any permanent eau de damp dog, rubber mat to give the dogs grip on the Hatchbag, a few old blankets in there to mop up damp dogs and provide a soft surface. Then a custom-made tailgate (locking stable door) and internal guard that fits over the top of the rear seats (seats laid flat) to give them enough room. Rarely need to carry passengers nowadays so the guards stay in, but they're easy enough to remove when needed. Handy as it's stopped my brother expecting me to be the default taxi service to my mum's house as there's no room for him and the dogs!
I hardly use the tailgate doors actually, the setup allows for me to load the dogs in and out via the side doors which is easily (and hopefully less strain on their joints than jumping out of the boot), but the position of the guards means they can't access the handles to accidentally open the doors. Gives me a bit of storage space between the front seats and the guard too, so when I go to my mum's I can stick all the dogs' Kongs, toys, etc. there without worrying about the dogs being able to reach (and don't have to crowd OH's feet space/lap with it all)

smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Volvo V70
Hatchbag
Rubber Mat
Dog Guard
Tailgate Guard
padlocks
stainless steel travel bowls on doors
Ventlock
padlock
Fan (if stationary and no AC running)
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Pictures would be nice those who have them

Kate I know I'd have all the freedom but it's the cost.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Honda CR-V with a large cat carrier
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 11:59 AM
vw Lupo 3 door. Quite happily get a GSD on the back seat, but better if you put the seats down.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »