Our sister sites
Our sister sites
saddie
New Member!
Female 

13-02-2012, 11:19 AM

Dogs and ticks

Important information about dogs and Lyme disease:

Dogs are equally at risk from ticks and can be severely affected by Lyme disease and other tick-associated infections such as Bartonellosis.

Tick Bite Prevention Week, supported by Mosi-guard Natural™, runs from 26 March-1 April 2012, is an annual programme that helps promote awareness of tick-borne diseases and effective tick-bite prevention for at-risk groups, including pet owners and their animals.

Several types of ticks are commonly found on dogs and cats in the UK. The sheep tick (also known as the deer tick or wood tick) and the hedgehog tick are the most common to attach to dogs and cats in the UK, and both commonly transmit Lyme disease to people and domestic animals. The British dog tick, kennel tick and marsh tick are also known to transmit Canine Lyme disease.

A dedicated pets section has been launched offering advice on what to do if bitten and how to stay protected in the warmer months at tickbitepreventionweek.org.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-02-2012, 08:18 PM
good info..
saddie
New Member!
Female 

22-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks My name is Lisa and I am a volunteer for BADA-UK, so I will be keeping an eye on the forum and try to answer your questions as quickly as I can. We are trying to get on as many forums as we can to raise awareness about Ticks. If there is something you need an answered quickly please contact us through our website or we are on [a social network] and Twitter. There is a load of information on our site, also you can purchase repellents and tick removal tools, all profits go to help raise awareness. Thanks
saddie
New Member!
Female 

22-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Dogs are equally at risk from ticks as their owners and can be severely affected by Lyme disease and other tick-associated infections.

Tick Bite Prevention Week, supported by Mosi-guard Natural™, runs from 26 March - 1 April 2012. This is an annual programme that helps promote awareness of tick-borne diseases and effective tick-bite prevention for at-risk groups, including pet owners and their animals so that they can enjoy the great outdoors in increased safety.

Several types of ticks are commonly found on dogs and cats in the UK. The sheep tick (also known as the deer tick or wood tick) and the hedgehog tick are the most common to attach to dogs and cats in the UK, and both commonly transmit Lyme disease to people and domestic animals. The British dog tick, kennel tick and marsh tick are also known to transmit canine Lyme disease.

The Tick Bite Prevention Week website gives advice on tick bite prevention, what to do if bitten, and how to safely remove ticks. A dedicated 'Pets Zone' has been launched which offers advice on how to keep your pets protected in the warmer months at.[link removed]
saddie
New Member!
Female 

22-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Tick Bite Prevention Week starts on Monday 26th... We also have many of downloadable items for kids from 4 to 16+ teach them young....
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Its really strange seeing this now. My friend lost her dog three weeks ago to peroplasmosis and the dog was always up to date with tick and flea treatment, such a shame.
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
Its really strange seeing this now. My friend lost her dog three weeks ago to peroplasmosis and the dog was always up to date with tick and flea treatment, such a shame.
That's so sad Milk Maid. We have piroplasmosis down here, and every year I hear of a few dogs going down with it. It causes such a quick decline that by the time you're convinced that something's wrong with the dog it can be too late. If it is spreading to your area too, there is a vaccination against it. I get both mine jabbed every winter (it shouldn't be done at the same time as the other boosters and rabies) and Advantix them every month.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Yep Girondedeb your right its very fast, its not normally in this area but looks like it could be creeping up this way, also my friend had someone stay in her Gite that came from the south of the Loire and we think maybe her dog bought it up with him as he was ill and they have it down there.
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
Yep Girondedeb your right its very fast, its not normally in this area but looks like it could be creeping up this way, also my friend had someone stay in her Gite that came from the south of the Loire and we think maybe her dog bought it up with him as he was ill and they have it down there.
Scary...but it makes sense that it will come in on dogs from areas where it is endemic. Some people down here claim that local dogs have enough of an immunity that they won't die of it, and that it's only dogs from non-infected areas (like yours) that will not be able to fight it. I'm not convinced about that, but in any case it sounds like you need to be as vigilant as us. What does your vet advise?
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 07:38 PM
The vets here dont advise jabs as it is rare here and they say they are only 80% effective , just keeping an eye open for them and using advantix or something similar.
Just out of curiosity how much do the vaccinations cost down your way? 65€ here if we want them and thats just for the dab, limes is about the same.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >