Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 12:33 PM

Boxer Help Please

Some of you may remember I started walking a young boxer bitch some months back. At the time I voiced my concern over some rather rough behaviour with other pups.

Well recently there have been a few incidents of her jumping other dogs and being aggressive. They have all been young dogs or not particularly assertive dogs. The circumstances have been either rough play between dogs that she has jumped in for a punch-up or her not taking No for an answer when she insists on bouncing on them.

I am aware that she lives with an older male dobermann that is very placid towards her rough playing but will sometimes engage in alarmingly rough play with her whereby he will get her by the throat and attempt to shake her.

I need to speak with her owner further regarding her behaviour and would like to know if anybody has any advice or thoughts on this.

I walk her with mature steady dogs that she does not play roughly with and am leashing her around dogs I do not know or that she may practice this bullying behaviour with.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Wild Rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2012, 12:44 AM
When you are walking the dogs, YOU need to be in charge. This dog needs to sit on a dime when you say so, and to lie down on a dime when you say so. Use a clicker and train her to listen to YOU. You will probably need to walk her alone to get her trained, but she is smart and will learn quickly. Train her in every spot you walk her in whether it is the sidewalk or a park.If the dog is otherwise a good doggie (sounds like she is) you shouldn't have any trouble training her to listen to you and mind.

Boxers are confident, assertive, and play rough, which is why you need to put her on a down or sit when she wants to go roughhouse with the other dogs. Simply don't let her.
You are the dogwalker, not the owner.