Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 12:29 PM

2 Dogs on a Walking Belt?

Does anyone walk 2 dogs on a walking belt?
Do you find there is a lot of difference between 1 and 2 on a belt?
Do you use 2 lines or a coupler?
Are they the same or similar breeds or completely different?

I've only tried it once with my Dalmatian and Springer but find it very hard to walk the Spaniel on the walking belt so don't tend to
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Yes we do We use two separate leads and on the odd occasion, the leads can get a bit twisted, but normally it's fine.

My OH walks two of the same breed on his walking belt and I walk two different breeds (well to be fair most of the time I only have one on the belt as the other is off-lead, but there are two places where dogs have to be on lead at this time of year due to ground nesting birds, so the off-lead dog has to go back on the lead in these areas).
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 03:17 PM
I walk three on my belt and they are fine. So much easier than holding leads.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Don't own a walking belt but sometimes clip the Halti lead around my waist for extra stability when I'm with my two. Used to do it all the time, Halti lead attached to their harness and around my waist, headcollar on a seperate lead hooked onto my wrist, and hold the slack of the Halti lead to walk them on, though I haven't bothered in ages since I'm more aware of Casper's behaviour and better at avoiding full blown reactions so can manage with just the Halti clipped onto harness and headcollar and held in the middle. Easier than the tangling of leads or navigating down narrow gaps with them around my waist, I can switch hands or places much more easily with the leads in my hands.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 05:37 PM
I walk 3 Border Collies on a walking belt. I was getting a bit fed up with being dragged around by three dogs until I got my belt, now its easy
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 05:43 PM
tried a walking belt once with phoebe didnt go very well. just got dragged around i found it really hard
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Not a proper walking belt (too springy for me) but I use a bumb bag for treats and stuff anyways so I often put my two on that - one either side
Much easier to walk the two like that as hands are free for treats and if Mia reacts I have 2 hands free rather than struggling with 2 leads
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Do you all use 2 separate lines when walking 2 dogs?

I'm thinking about the future, but wandering if the lines would likely get tangled with 2 dogs on it, and would they have enough freedom with a coupler?

I tend to walk quite a few miles when he's on the belt and it's useful as he can act 'off lead' but is still close by.
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-03-2012, 08:23 AM
I have one on the belt, and the other on a lead in my hand, while I try to teach him to not wander from one side to the other, tangling up with the first dog's lead. Progress is slow, so I won't be clipping him on to the belt for a while...

Personally I would always have them on seperate leads rather than a coupler, as there is quite a difference in size - so if the bigger one changes direction suddenly, or stops, it could pull over the smaller dog.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 09:35 AM
I don't walk my Spaniel on the belt, I'm more interested in 2 dogs of a similar size, for the future
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >