View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Barney'sMum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2012, 04:59 PM

Don't understand why people rehome when they have a baby?

Just came across this on gumtree not sure why having a baby makes a difference when you've already got kids. Saying that not sure why having a baby makes any difference full stop!!

She is gorgeous wish we could take her but my partner would say no

my female german shepard has not long turned 1. she is the most loving loyal dog. shes beautiful. she will gaurd ur house while ur out. but is also welcoming to ur visitors. u couldnt meet a more friendly dog. alot of people would probs b thinkin y am i getting rid of her at this age has she done somthing bad as i no i would. but she hasnt i would b honest as i want my dog to go the the best loving home out there. im only getting rid of her due to having a baby thats it. she needs more loving and attention wot i havnt got the time to give her. will b really sad to c her go ;( so will my children they adore her. i wud like her to go to a home tht has kids as she loves to play she always intises my 3 yr old by giving him a nudge lol. shes all up to date on her jabs, worming & fleaing. she will also cum wiv her bed food bowls coller, lead she also has her own toothbrush and toothpaste. veiwings welcome!
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2012, 05:12 PM
What a gorgeous girl, £70 aswell anyone could end up with her
I never understand that either, somebody asked me the other day if I'd be giving mine up when I had a baby..err no. As far as were concerned she's our first born!
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2012, 05:18 PM
It's ridiculous.

I never felt the same about someone who said they might have to have their 10 year old dog 'destroyed' - (horrible term) when their first grandchild came along. They didn't even live in the same house.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Mind boggling I saw a 10 yr old on preloved because baby was coming, also people moving house and no room for the dog (seen that excuse tons of times )wtf??
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I think it's very easy to sit and say "I'll never give up my dog even when I get a baby", but reality is you don't know until you are in that situation. You might get pregnant unplanned. You might get a baby thats ill alot or rarely sleeps.

I don't agree with giving up before trying, but maybe she's already struggling and have realized it won't work. You never know .
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2012, 05:48 PM
It's quite a common reason where I work. Sometimes it can be genuine for instance we had a staffie come in after his family had a premature baby who's lungs weren't developed enough to deal with the extra dander of a dog. They were really lovely people and heart broken about giving him up but they couldn't bring the baby home until he was gone

There are also some dogs that just won't tolerate babies. Malcolm for instance is crazy reactive to small squeaky children, I don't think it would do him any good to live with children. At the end of the day it would be fairer to rehome him than keep him locked away or constantly stressed. (Just to clarify there are no plans afoot for children )

I also try to look at it as the people who give the dog up when they have a baby are probably the same people who would allow their kids to climb over, poke and prod children. I take this view because the reason they are often worried is that they have seen dogs react badly before to children doing just that and assumed it was the dogs fault not the child. Again that dog is better off rehomed than put to sleep when it reaches the end of it's tether and bites.

It's the ones with old dogs that use the 'I won't have time to walk/spend with him' excuse that gets me. The old dog probably won't mind it's walks cutting down and would rather live out it's days with less walks than end up who knows where or in kennels.

I also try to look at it that those who place their dogs in a reputable rescue are at least part way to doing the right thing for their dogs. Those that dump the dog, give it a way or use it to make money; well I'm not even going to say what I think should happen to them.

ETA - and as Julie says above there are always the ones that are really ill
Barney'sMum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2012, 06:09 PM
It never occured to me a baby being ill that's must be an awful position to be in! I hope she goes to a good home and not someone who just wants a gs as they look threatening!
AliStarfish
New Member!
Female 

13-12-2012, 06:11 PM
I find it so hard seeing these things. At least a young dog has a chance to settle but the older ones who have only known one home must be so unsettled. We waited till the youngest in the family was 5 before we got our dog to avoid this very thing.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2012, 06:14 PM
How sad Hopefully the dog will find a happy forever home as she is still so young.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

13-12-2012, 06:30 PM
I think some people just look for excuses, and when one that is remotely plausible comes along, grasp it with both hands

I have my doubts that this person has a genuine or acceptable reason to give up her dog - from what she's written anyway...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »