View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 04:25 PM

Colds, throat infections, flu - the likes..

So I'm sat here pitying myself. Trying to get better for my 8 hour shift tomorrow, whilst trying not to overdose on medication.

Clo has just suggested whisky, hot water, lemon juice and sugar..

I have buttercup syrup, lemsip, paracetamol, beechams and strepsils.. I of course am waiting the recommended amount of time between them and not taking paracetamol with other stuff with it in etc.. I've slept a lot. Had 10 minutes out with Louie on the field (it's not fair him staying in) in the fresh air.

Any other home remedies - baring in mind I have no soup and I am not going out for any.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Had it and pity you, i am glad mines over , went deaf too with an infection .. lol
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 05:32 PM
O/H has it,all my kids have had it and Tom has a chest infection,which he is on AB's for.

I usually just dose them with paracetamol or nurofen,soothers and plenty of fluids,including those with vitamin c in,orange juice,blackcurrent juice etc.

Hope you feel better soon x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 05:48 PM
I was going to warn you about the amount of paracetamol ...

Honey and lemon in hot water is good for sore throats.

To be honest, you can take paracetamol for aches and pains and decongestants to help relieve congestion but nothing really gets rid of something like a cold. You just have to ride it out with lots of fluids and stay warm and comfortable. Lots of vitamin C might help in the long run and zinc is supposed to help with the immune system.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Dont do what I did and put a effervecent (sp - the ones that fizz and disolve in water) vitamin C tablet in your mouth without realising what it would do.

Lots of orange foam.... everywhere....
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 05:56 PM
PMSL Sam - such a numpty!

I have no honey - will golden syrup do? I can eat that by the bucket load.. I've been drinking plenty of warm fluids, have yet to drink OJ..
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 07:29 PM
It is probably not any good once you have a cold or flu but at the first sniffle or cough I and Jamie have been taking Vick's "First Defence" spray.

It is really good and "nips things in the bud" so to speak. It is pretty nasty to take as you spray a couple of times up each nostril and it is not cheap at about £7 but definitely effective as we have used it a few times throughout this winter and have not got colds/flu.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 07:39 PM
I swear by Olbas oil in a bowl of boiling water, it clears your head fantastically! Sadly, it doesn't last long, but you can do it as often as you like.

Paracetamols every 4 hours will of course, help bring down your temperature.

There's a lot of this about atm, I can't believe I haven't caught it myself yet, but give it time!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 10:46 PM
My Aunt is a Dr. and she always recommends hot Ribena (with honey if you've got any). Gotta say, it's always worked for me!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Jakemans Throat and Chest Sweets are brilliant for sore throats, they help me no end when I'm ill.

Other than that I just take 1g Paracetamol (QDS) and 400mg of Ibuprofen (TDS) alternately to help ward off aches and pains until I can get home to bed!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >