Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 03:06 PM

Castration injection

Need some advice please. My sister has 2 puppy Dobermans 1 of each sex same litter so definatly doesn't want them to mate so she was going to get the male done early. Now i know it's best to leave them until mature really so i told her about the injection but never having had a male dog i know nothing about it.
Can anyone give me any advice here would it be a better idea to go with the injection or get 1 neutured early?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Neither, have the Superlorin implant.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 04:52 PM
That's probably what i'm thinking of as i said i've never had males so would this be a good idea and get him done properly later?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 04:55 PM
The implant will last either 6 or 12mths. whichever you have. It will gradually wear off after that. Then they can either choose to have another, leave be, or go for the permanent option. Its like a microchip implant.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 05:09 PM
That's definately what i was thinking of i thought it was injected hence why i called it an injection.
I'll tell her to go for this and get them both done later when they've matured.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 09:02 PM
You're right it is essentially an injection, however being a solid it is referred to as an implant.

Supralorin is an implant delivered subcutaneously (under the skin) by means of a hypodermic needle, just like a microchip, rather than being implanted via a surgical incision, and as such it is done very quickly and without need an anaesthetic.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Thank you Tass that's a great help and thank you Boderdawn too just the advice i was looking for. I have spoken to a friend tonight who's dog has had this who did confirm i was right but Smokeys blunt reply made me feel i was thick but i feel better now knowing i was right.
I knew there would be good advice on here i will pass it on to my sister. Thank you again x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 09:40 PM
I do apologise I thought you might be referring to Tardek, which used to be the ONLY chemical castration available and lasts for about 3 - 6 weeks.

You asked a question, I answered it, I do not do flowery or theses..................

Semantics aside, there is a difference between a short lasting injection, and an implant (which is what most vets call the insertion of an object such as a chip or superlorin treatment).

But whatever you call it, they have slightly differing effects, duration and consequences.

For example, Tardek does not shrink the testes, Superlorin does.

Etc etc

As for feeling thick, as Eleanor Roosevelt once said,

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent!

And yes, I am sure you DO feel better "knowing you were right".

In fact I wonder why you posed the question?
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I do apologise I thought you might be referring to Tardek, which used to be the ONLY chemical castration available and lasts for about 3 - 6 weeks.

You asked a question, I answered it, I do not do flowery or theses..................

Semantics aside, there is a difference between a short lasting injection, and an implant (which is what most vets call the insertion of an object such as a chip or superlorin treatment).

But whatever you call it, they have slightly differing effects, duration and consequences.

For example, Tardek does not shrink the testes, Superlorin does.

Etc etc

And yes, I am sure you DO feel better "knowing you were right".

In fact I wonder why you posed the question?
I have to ask why do you reply to threads if all you want to do is put people down? Is it because you remain anonymous? Do you do this to people face to face?
Wonder if you saw the programme the other night on people who do this sort of thing all the time and one young girl actually commited suicide because of an anonymous online bully.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

As for this quote are you serious. I am someone who is big time into anti bullying for personall reasons and this made my blood boil grow the **** up and get a life.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >