View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 09:35 AM

How many of you feed half raw half commercial?

I've been thinking about switching back to dog food. Daph still isn't really taking to this new food from DAF and I need to make sure she is eating properly, with her (fingers crossed) being in whelp.

I like the idea of them still getting raw and they love their bone meals and offal.

I thought about giving them one raw meal and one commercial meal, unsure about whether to feed wet or dry yet. I'm more just thinking out loud I suppose.

How many of you feed like this? I love my dogs being on raw and know exactly what they eat, but f daph isn't going to eat it then I don't really know what to do...
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-12-2011, 10:04 AM
I think you know I do. Mainly because with one of mine seems to get so fussy unless I give her a variety of food. I feel happier doing it this way incase I am missing something out of their diet with one or the other.

I don't have a lot of freezer space with having 2 dogs. I find it quite expensive feeding raw as my gsd won't always
eat mince meats from suppliers so I end up buying lots from supermarkets.

I think it's good for them to have a variety of food anyway.
Mine have not suffered from stomach problems with having 2 different types of meals and both Really healthy.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 10:23 AM
I have done and the dogs were fine on it, except for Rio who has issues with some commercial diets. Why not try half raw and half nature diet/ nature's menu or something? That way you can relax a bit that she's getting what she needs and she's still getting a moisture rich diet.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 10:25 AM
I do.

They get some kibble for breakfast and raw as their main meal.

Lots of reasons really,

Bailey gets ear trouble on all kibble, I'm slowly working my way through them to find one that suits him but on the other side, Kiara gets what I think is too much stomach acid on all raw and I get some bile type sick evey morning and a small amount of kibble stops it.
When I get a new kid in or one of the one's I have goes through a bad patch, it's difficult to be organised enough and I have times when I just can't get out to the butchers so I just give them kibble until things calm down.

They seem to be ok on it but they do love a nice meaty raw bone best of all
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the replies. I did think about natures harvest and those type of wet foods, especially when she needs 3 meals a day.

Think I might give it a try with just daphni for now as its her im worried about not eating properly.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Depending on whether the first meal is a bone one [chicken wings / chicken carcass / turkey neck / chicken backbone (different cut from different poulterer)] which is every other day, Pereg's second meal could be 1/3 soaked low-fat kibble, 1/3 raw of one kind or another, and 1/3 vegetables.

On other occasions it might be 1/2 tin of what appears to be good quality dog food [ie no grain, no fillers, no "meat by-products" listed] and vegetables.

On the whole I would say she is minimum 80% raw, probably much more, as feeding her kibble/tinned meat is not a regular occurrence, and she never now has a meal of kibble only as she previously did. The tinned food is new and was bought mainly for emergencies, just as I will always keep some kibble in for emergencies.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 11:35 AM
I used to, but not anymore. I don't feed raw at all now and my dogs are still incredibly healthy and suffer no ill effects from it.

I feed them things like James Wellbeloved, Fish4dogs, Natures Diet, tinned sardines and mackerel etc and also home cooked things such as fresh fish (they loves salmon, trout and mackerel) and also chicken, turkey, beef etc. Sometimes they get brown pasta and brown rice and steamed, mashed veg.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Mine's are half and half too - if there are any raw meals for them they get them from shoots etc, or sometimes I pick up cheap meat and bones when shopping. Otherwise they are on tinned Butcher's Tripe Mix and Skinner's Turkey and Rice.

The Tripe Mix has made a difference to the always super skinny Copper
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I used to, but not anymore. I don't feed raw at all now and my dogs are still incredibly healthy and suffer no ill effects from it.

I feed them things like James Wellbeloved, Fish4dogs, Natures Diet, tinned sardines and mackerel etc and also home cooked things such as fresh fish (they loves salmon, trout and mackerel) and also chicken, turkey, beef etc. Sometimes they get brown pasta and brown rice and steamed, mashed veg.
Can I move in with you - your dogs eat better than me
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-12-2011, 05:57 PM
If I could buy raw at the prices charged by the various pet food suppliers in the UK, or, at a pinch, was able to buy reduced meat from a supermarket, then Pereg would be on 100% raw.

But I cannot and the raw she has is not even supermarket basic value, but the same as I buy for myself, and it is not cheap.

In addition, by giving her some kibble at times, or tinned meat at times, it means that she is not fussy. To her Food is Food with a capital "F". And that Food includes, apart from the occasional maybe 50g kibble, half or even less a tin of meat - raw chicken/turkey/beef mince, raw poultry liver and hearts, raw egg, raw fish, tinned sardines or tuna, ½% fat soft white cheese, 0% fat bio yoghurt, vegetables, plus her various vitamins and supplements...

...but if Pereg had any say in the matter she would live on just chicken wings, carcasses, backs, turkey necks...

Maybe I am just lucky in that to Pereg Food is Food and so far she has never turned her nose up at anything. But if I had to rely on one thing only and then that thing was either not available or I was unable to give it to her, then I am just grateful that she is happy with whatever she is given.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >