Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 03:31 PM

Snow tips

Well it looks like winters well and truly here

What are your tips for walking dogs in the snow to stop their fur getting all balled up??

I spread vaseline all over their paws, getting right in between their pads and toes to stop the snow compacting and hurting them??

Anyone use anything different that works???

Mind you not sure how I can stop this happening to Poppy's nails again

Frozen solid they were
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-12-2011, 04:28 PM
I also use vaseline on Jeds paws, to stop the snow balling up, you can buy other products to put on dogs paws to stop it, (haven't tried them tho, and vaseline works for me, and is cheaper) have no hints tho to stop snow balling up on fur however ( Jed is very smooth coated, and before him I had a husky so didn't need to consider the cold) if you find something that works on fur tho, would be interested for a fiend who has 2 long haired, curly coated dogs, they have terrible problems with snowballing fur.
Never seen the snow collecting on the nails, like on Poppy however, poor thing! Maybe some booties if vaseline doesn't work?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 04:38 PM
I used Sudocrem last year and found it better than vaseline - easier to see where you've applied it and lasts longer. Plus it makes your hands and gloves smell lovely!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I put Baby Oil in a spray bottle and spray in between the pads and on feathers, ears etc (if you have that type of dog), my GSD does not get snowballs at all anywhere bar feet (if I do not use Baby Oil)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Baby oil works well on the fur. I used to put it on my horse's legs around the top of the foot so that the mud would slip off easily when I hosed them, which it did, so I'm guessing it will do the same with the snow.

I'm opting for the baby socks too, to keep the snow off their feet, they're much easier to get on than the proper boots I have, they're a nice tight fit so shouldn't come flying off either, if it's just a matter of letting them out in the garden for a toilet break, coz I'm sure that snow hurts them when it balls up like that under their feat, especially when they come back inside and they get ripped off with just walking about.

Hopefully, we won't get any this year, but I'm going to be more prepared this time if we do.

This is how she would come in after a quick pee in the garden, and I'm sure it's not comfortable for a long coated dog, let alone those feet, even with sudocreme slapped on them.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Good grief - poor doglets! No magic cures from me I'm afraid.

The TM swims through the snow, makes snow angels and everything and he never gets snow balled up in his fur or feet. He shakes and it all comes off. I suppose the breed are built for it though.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I put Baby Oil in a spray bottle and spray in between the pads and on feathers, ears etc (if you have that type of dog), my GSD does not get snowballs at all anywhere bar feet (if I do not use Baby Oil)
Does it not make their feet slippy SB? The only place Rupert gets snowballs is between his pads, silly hairy hobbit feet, and I thought about baby oil but don't want him slipping all over the place, especially on the stairs coming back in!
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Really useful tips from everyone.... Thanks.

Little Molly ended up not being able to walk last year with bobbles hanging from her skirt.....

I will definitely try the vaseline on feet and baby oil on her fur
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 06:41 PM
No magic cures from here either, mine just go out raw, have to say we don't seem to get the problem either......but like Dokhyi ours don't seem to attract it, and believe it or not ours will get a bright idea to go swimming in the lakes in the cold thats why we have to steer clear of them
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Poppy's OK but she has short quite coarse hair but Kiara and Bailey have hairy feet and get the rock solid lumps in their paws and poor Bailey with his long hair ends up looking like a lumpy snow dog All the way up his legs and if it's deep like last year all along his body too

I'll definatley try the baby oil on the fur thing though - Thanks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >