Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Parkers
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2011, 06:18 PM

I am such an idiot :(

I let the dogs out for their wee, not expecting fireworks as it wasn't dark enough but one went off. The springers are still fine as is my collie/lab (as she never came out) but Toby, my collie who is normally so confident is now scared.

As it only happened an hour or so ago, is there anything I can do to ensure that his fears doesn't carry on until next year so is all hopes lost?

At the moment, he is sat sulking in his crate while the others are chewing their bones.

Help?

(I do have a thundercoat but that is currently being used on my collie cross)
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Try turning up the sound on the TV and playing a game with the other two without taking too much notice of Toby. Hopefully, he will venture out to join in. Try not to encourage him as this may just reinforce the idea that there is something he should be worried about.

Obviously, make sure curtains/blinds are closed so that he can't see out
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2011, 03:18 PM
feel for you, i got caught out on a walk on monday. Phoebe didnt like them that much anyway but shes a right mess now. im sure if hes normally fine hell soon come out of it and the others will spur him on
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2011, 08:00 PM
You can use a T shirt like a Thunder shirt. I would also get a DAP defuser & collar for next year(New Year or whenever fireworks are due)

I would turn up the TV & ignore him unless he comes to you for now.

I'm so lucky my cureent 4 totally ignore fireworks
Parkers
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Thank you all.

I really did not think about it at all! Especially as I live way out in the country. I just feel bad as it was my mistake and Toby had to pay for it.

He was fine after an hour or so, he then decided that it was worth it to go out in the dark to unbury one of his bones so he can have a midnight snack

I do feel for those who does have a nervous wreak - I have one in form of Eddy, my collie/lab cross but the thundercoat and the loud TV seem to calm her down a lot so I would recommend thundercoat!