Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 08:22 PM

Dog CLIPPING

Today, I clipped the fur on Jins neck so her collar would sit better...... shes got a tufty JRT coat..... The fur on her neck is so soft now the harsher edges are clipped off.....

Would it be harsh to clip her all over?? Not short short, it just trims the edges off.......
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I am not sure how clipping her coat would make her collar sit better? If the collar didn't sit right, then it sounds like it didn't fit her well.

Unless there is a medical reason, I see no reason to clip her. Her coat is going to protect her fromthe elements. If you did/do clip her it willnot grow back very nicely.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Just in time for the cold weather you mean.............?
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
I am not sure how clipping her coat would make her collar sit better? If the collar didn't sit right, then it sounds like it didn't fit her well.

Unless there is a medical reason, I see no reason to clip her. Her coat is going to protect her fromthe elements. If you did/do clip her it willnot grow back very nicely.
It kept making the fur sit awkward..... was hidden under the fur. It happens on most dogs with fur thats longer than a mm or so but I dislike it.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Just in time for the cold weather you mean.............?
She has a jumper..... it looks so much tidier trimmed a bit, and like I said, its literally just the ends off. She has a 'broken' coat, so it would even it out a bit.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 09:02 PM
You shouldnt clip the wiry coat off her at all. You have just exposed the undercoat and cut the topcoat which may well not grow properly again. I would suggest you hand strip all the harsh coat, if its ready to come out it will do easily.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 09:04 PM
I fail to understand the logic of choosing a dog which has a particular type of coat, clipping it and then giving it a jumper to wear?!

Good Grief how pointless..............
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
It kept making the fur sit awkward..... was hidden under the fur. It happens on most dogs with fur thats longer than a mm or so but I dislike it.

I am aware, I had a long coated Shepherd. We used a half check (outside only) so it didn't damaged the ruff. Indoors ours didn't wear collars.

Agree with SB, why clip and then stick a coat on her? Handstrip her when she is ready.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 09:30 PM
She had a jumper for COLD temps, get off my back! She hasnt even worn it yet, its for icey temps. She has a coat for when its raining as she HATES the rain.

I didnt CHOOSE her fur type, her monther is a smooth coated JRT, father was unknown. She was smooth when I got her, but hey, she had floppy ears when I got her! She has uppies now!
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I fail to understand the logic of choosing a dog which has a particular type of coat, clipping it and then giving it a jumper to wear?!

Good Grief how pointless..............
Like I said, I didnt CHOOSE her fur type, thanks anyway.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »