Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-10-2011, 03:51 PM

Brewer's Yeast tablets

I buy these for Pereg and this morning received an urgent email from my supplier with the appropriate comments as follows:

You are receiving this email because our records show that you may have ordered an item affected by a recall.
The following recall information is based on manufacturers' and regulatory agencies press releases that involve product sold through iHerb.com.
This information includes the product involved and steps on what you should do if you have the recalled item.
It then went on to give full details of the product, ending with:

NOW Foods is voluntarily recalling selected lots of its Brewer's Yeast Tablets ( Product Code 2412, 200 and 500 count tablets, respectively ) due to the presence of an undeclared milk allergen.

People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to milk run the risk of a serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products and should stop taking them immediately.

People who do not have a milk allergy or sensitivity need not take any action.
As I have been giving these to Pereg for some time now, and as she has shown no signs of any milk allergy [she has bio live yoghurt and also 0%fat soft cheese] and I right in not worrying?

Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Hi Malka, I would say as the recall is purely because of an undeclared presence of milk product, and as Pereg is not allergic to dairy produce, then there is absolutely nothing to worry out
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Hi Malka, I would say as the recall is purely because of an undeclared presence of milk product, and as Pereg is not allergic to dairy produce, then there is absolutely nothing to worry out
That is what I thought but I am being ultra-cautious at the moment, and you are right, she cannot be allergic to dairy produce as she has yoghurt most days.

Incidentally the bottle of 500 that I have is one of those on the recall list but it is only a voluntary recall so I really should not have worried.

It is good to know that the supplier is on the ball though.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-10-2011, 09:06 PM
I would not give any yeast products to a dog (or human) tbh Malka, if you're giving them for B vits, maybe a good multi b vit would be better?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I would not give any yeast products to a dog (or human) tbh Malka, if you're giving them for B vits, maybe a good multi b vit would be better?
Azz, Pereg also has two canine complex multi vitamin and mineral tabs a day, and the two Brewer's Yeast tabs were given on the advice of her Vet as he did not think there were sufficient B vits in the multi tabs. All the supplements are as approved by him and only given since I changed her from kibble, supposedly complete, onto a 95% raw diet.

My Vet does not sell dog food of any kind, or any supplements, so he is not recommending/advising in the hope of me buying things from him. He takes a great interest in the way Pereg is now fed [although he still cannot get his head around the bones in raw chicken wings not piercing her GI tract but accepts that I give them to her], and is satisfied with what I give her.

Pereg has had no side effects from any of the supplements, and the seizures she has do not seem to have any connection to anything ingested. She might be [definitely is] a bit overweight now, but her coat is gleaming and she is healthy B"H. Epileptic, but healthy!

These last 6½ months have been a steep learning curve for me, trying to do the best for my girl and learning by trial and error, and I think that maybe, just maybe, I have come to the best diet and supplements for her.

At least I hope I have. Because I love her.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Azz, Pereg also has two canine complex multi vitamin and mineral tabs a day, and the two Brewer's Yeast tabs were given on the advice of her Vet as he did not think there were sufficient B vits in the multi tabs. All the supplements are as approved by him and only given since I changed her from kibble, supposedly complete, onto a 95% raw diet.

My Vet does not sell dog food of any kind, or any supplements, so he is not recommending/advising in the hope of me buying things from him. He takes a great interest in the way Pereg is now fed [although he still cannot get his head around the bones in raw chicken wings not piercing her GI tract but accepts that I give them to her], and is satisfied with what I give her.

Pereg has had no side effects from any of the supplements, and the seizures she has do not seem to have any connection to anything ingested. She might be [definitely is] a bit overweight now, but her coat is gleaming and she is healthy B"H. Epileptic, but healthy!

These last 6½ months have been a steep learning curve for me, trying to do the best for my girl and learning by trial and error, and I think that maybe, just maybe, I have come to the best diet and supplements for her.

At least I hope I have. Because I love her.
Hi, if dogs are allergic to milk it is either to the casein (milk protein) or lactose (milk sugar) it is usually the former that provokes and allergy and the latter that demonstrates and intolerance.

Because yoghurt is pre digested by bacteria, the risks of this are lower with it than just plain milk.

Brewers Yeast is a by-product of brewing beer (like Marmite) a source of B-complex vitamins, chromium, and selenium. The B-complex vitamins in brewer's yeast include B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), and H or B7 (biotin). These vitamins help break down carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, which provide the body with energy. They also support the nervous system, help maintain the muscles used for digestion, and keep skin, hair, eyes, mouth, and liver healthy.

It does not contain B12 though.

If your dog has yeast infections or is allergic to yeast then it should be avoided, it may cause farting in some dogs.

It has a good reputation for helping to repel parasites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-10-2011, 09:57 PM
These are what I give Pereg:

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Brewe...blets/427?at=0

and on my Vet's advice, considering the multi vitamin/mineral and other supplements, he suggested she has two a day.