Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 03:25 PM

Sometimes, dontcha just think . ..

Why do I bother ???

I've worked bl**dy hard over these past 6 months getting Bailey almost back to normal with other dogs, he no longer 'scruffs' every dog he meets, just the ones that growl at him or get really in his face, the majority of the time he's pleasant and happy

We went to that show yesterday and he was brilliant not one growl, pull to get at, nothing - he just ignored almost every dog and met a few, even when a puppy launched itself and bounced off his side he never murmered!!

Then today out having a lovely walkies and this numpty comes along with two off lead lab's with absolutley no control over them, they come running up I quickly threw a lead on Bailey and I stood in front of him and shouted NO at them all to no avail they circled round and before I knew it they were jumping all over him, on his back etc I couldn't do much as I was concentrating on keeping his head away from them, Bailey was going mental growling etc The owner of these labs just sauntered past I asked him to sort his dogs out and he replied - why they're fine, it's yours that have the problem

At that point I thought 'why do I bother' I should just let Bailey go, and when he's finished and the lab's are on the way to the vets, Oh well it's not my problem is it

Sometimes, just sometimes I'm so tempted to just let Bailey go and let him sort out the dogs rather than me trying to keep them safe
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2011, 03:36 PM
i have the same problem do not worry your not alone lol
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 03:40 PM
I feel your frustration and it's so bloody annoying isn't it.

O/H has been in this position twice,when having Meg out,she was onlead minding her own and a bloke had a Dobe offlead,O/H shouted for him to recall and put it onlead,he shouts it's ok he's friendly whilst the dog continues to run full pelt growling and showing it's teeth at Meg
It got to close and she bit it
Owner got an earbashing from O/H,same thing happened with a JR

I shout a warning now and if they choose to ignore me and there dog gets bitten then so be it!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 03:57 PM
No because a year or two down the line your dog will be the one that owners refer to as `that nicely behaved dog` like it happened all by itself.
The lady in the pet shop was moaning about her JRT last week to me. Yours are always so sedate, she said. If only she knew!
Oh, the years of blood sweat and tears that has to go into having dogs that people wish their dogs were like.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I feel your frustration and it's so bloody annoying isn't it.

O/H has been in this position twice,when having Meg out,she was onlead minding her own and a bloke had a Dobe offlead,O/H shouted for him to recall and put it onlead,he shouts it's ok he's friendly whilst the dog continues to run full pelt growling and showing it's teeth at Meg
It got to close and she bit it
Owner got an earbashing from O/H,same thing happened with a JR

I shout a warning now and if they choose to ignore me and there dog gets bitten then so be it!
I did that the other day with a black lab, owner nowhere in sight as it came charging at us from nowhere Thankfull, it listened to ME and p*ssed off but still not back its owner, oh no, SHE had to come from the next level down to retrieve it, whilst I carried on walking. She then had to absolute gall, to call out to me when she caught me up telling ME off for shouting at her dog to go away, when all it wanted was Zena's ball She then went on to say, that IF I had put the ball away instead of letting Zena have it in her gob , all "would have been fine" Jeeeeeeeze! Yes, you can imagine the retort she got from me!!!!

It's all very strange for me now, coz when I see another dog coming my way that we don't know, I always put Zena onlead, and strangely enough, so do they now! Can't quite fathom that one out, maybe there's a new aggressive boy in town and they all think they're meeting up with it when they see us

Always someone gotta set you back isn't there Touch wood, we've been on a roll lately, everything's been super duper friendly, owners under total control, it's beginning to make dog walking a real pleasure again for me. Many a time I've thought just like you, coz I'm sure Zena would win hands down, but a short while ago, I made her a promise that she would never get launched at ever again, and I'm gonna make sure she isn't. I've got it all sussed now, it'll be ME they take to court, not my dog! Bite your tongue, nothing bad happened, and just hope you don't meet up with that moron ever again. People hey!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Allowing or encouraging your dog to retaliate or defend itself could put it and you at risk of legislation, so why would you consider it?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 08:24 PM
I would use a pet corrector spray to stop dogs jumping over Cherry if the dogs were charging up to her and the owners weren't able to call their dogs away from where they were at the other side of the park.

She was partly blind and fearful of other dogs and I had worked very hard to get her to be calm and not react to other dogs but she was entitled to not have loony dogs jumping all over her and scaring her in my opinion.

Life is a lot easier now with 2 dog-friendly dogs but I would rather have my lovely Cherry back with me

We met a right numpty the other week as I was walking Izzy and Parker along the main road near my Mum's house and then 2 women with an off-lead Staffy appeared and it was walking up to Parker's face and he doesn't like Staffies owing to lots of bad encounters. I shouted "NO" and body-blocked it and shouted at the owners to leash their dog. One woman replied "I've only just got out of the front door"!

I thought well I certainly don't let my dogs out without a leash from my front door but just gave them a hard stare and crossed the road. Didn't want to get into an argument.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Very aggravating for you indeed.

Alas there are always a few morons out and about who don't give a damn about other dogs and owners and don't realise they are also putting their OWN dogs at risk by allowing them to go charging up to all and sundry.

But do keep up all your great work because sounds as though you've really come a long way with Bailey - pat yourself on the back for that