Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2011, 01:01 PM

John Bradshaw ["In Defence of Dogs"] lecture

John Bradshaw, the author of In Defence of Dogs is giving a talk as part of the Taunton Literary Festival.

Saturday 17th September, St James Church, Taunton, Somerset.

More details here:
http://www.tauntonliteraryfestival.net/Saturday17.html
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2011, 05:48 AM
just finished his book - not too impressed if I'm honest there's nothing there that anyone who lives with a pack of dogs would'nt have already known and I was REALLY incensed to read him regurgitating the old PDE influenced rubbish about show breeders
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Would be good if someone could video it and put it on Youtube.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2011, 09:04 AM
I'd like to go but I think it will be difficult, might try though.

I think it's a really good book for dog owners, because it brings the recent information all together in one book. We need books that are "milestones" every now and then, and I think this may well be one.

Wys
x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Just finished it, and TBH I would not say it is a milestone at all............., it certainly did not excite me enough to trek to Taunton to hear more of the same..........

It is very similar to many other books, a melange of information already extant and in the public domain.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Just finished it, and TBH I would not say it is a milestone at all............., it certainly did not excite me enough to trek to Taunton to hear more of the same..........

It is very similar to many other books, a melange of information already extant and in the public domain.
Which ones are you referrring to please, SB, as I might like to put them on my list if I don't already have them... (or not, if they are all repeating the same thing! )

wys
x
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2011, 08:15 PM
I will go, as it's not too far from me and as it's during the day, do-able by bus. I don't get the chance to go to anything doggy very often!

However like Bijou I was also rather dismayed by the chapter regarding pedigree dogs, which did spoil what was otherwise a concise and informative book.

If there is any Q&A after the talk or I can get to speak to Professor Bradshaw, I will ask him about it.

I understand the book was first published in the USA so it's possible much of what he wrote in that section was aimed at a US audience. I've recently joined a US-based group focusing on the health issues of the breed I'm interested in, and I'm pretty surprised at how many more health issues the breed has over the pond compared to here, in what is usually thought of as a fairly healthy breed.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-09-2011, 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I will go, as it's not too far from me and as it's during the day, do-able by bus. I don't get the chance to go to anything doggy very often!

However like Bijou I was also rather dismayed by the chapter regarding pedigree dogs, which did spoil what was otherwise a concise and informative book.

If there is any Q&A after the talk or I can get to speak to Professor Bradshaw, I will ask him about it.

I understand the book was first published in the USA so it's possible much of what he wrote in that section was aimed at a US audience. I've recently joined a US-based group focusing on the health issues of the breed I'm interested in, and I'm pretty surprised at how many more health issues the breed has over the pond compared to here, in what is usually thought of as a fairly healthy breed.
What does he say?
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2011, 05:56 AM
can't quote it verbatim as it's on my Kindle but I remember daft statements such as " most pet dogs are the rejects from show breeders " -what rubbish !! - look around I'l bet most pet dogs are bred by folk who hav'nt been anywhere near the show ring

I agree with Smokey - there's nothing really new in his book.