Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 06:48 PM

CM followers, are the 'brainwashed'?

Azz, I have no idea if this is the right place so feel free to move..
Have been looking at some stuff online. Cesar Millan followers post stuff like; 'leave Cesar alone, he is saving dogs lives, NO ONE is training dogs better, this is natural order..

So why is this?
Are the of obsessive personalities and so simply cannot 'see' other methods, books, research, trainers....?

TBH I have only really seen CM stop a dog pulling or stand next to a dog thats air snapping and the like, stop (suppress) dogs reactions...so where do they all get this; he is the only one to train dogs so well?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2011, 06:53 PM
no they arent brain washed, they just have a different opinion.

they just agree with his ideas and may not have a wider knowledge of dog training and behaviour

also, from what you have read online, what would be your basis for thinking these people arent aware of other trainers/methods or that they dont think other trainers also train dogs well?

just some thoughts
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 06:54 PM
its like you are hurting their feelings if you criticise the methods or even recomend (proper) training books, methods etc

he must be their Idol?

I really dont get the 'no one else better' stuff
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Ah, the cult of personality... where to start.
People seek Leaders - they feel happier when One Who Knows takes charge. These days people have a closer (if virtual) relationship with the characters from Eastenders than the bloke next door, and The Expert is part of this hype.
We are brought up to listen to our parents, our teachers, our bosses, our police.. if someone on the tele is presented as a Guru it is difficult to see through and question the glamour. (Glamour in the old sense that is - an enchantment).
Or it could be the teeth.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post

he must be their Idol?
of course he is, he's on the telly

dont most people do this?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I think them that are supporting him have little understanding about dog training, or positive methods at least. - I doubt many look into him, or even see past the 'work' shown on TV. - we all understand that dog training is a long term thing, and only 30 mins or so is shown on the programme. - The programme doesnt show the affects of the dogs after CM has left the owners, and them that havent looked into him wont be aware of the horror stories around with dogs becoming more aggressive, being PTS ect'. - some cant understand that he gets results through scaring dogs. Hes teaching through fear, anyone can get a dog to do as its told if its fearful enough.

I think to some extent they are uneducated, or not interested enough to look at things from others views. - They take his word for things, they see the good and must believe that after the 30 mins on TV the dog is an angel, never to cause a problem again - and for me its scary to think potential owners would think training is that easy, or that his methods are acceptable.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:07 PM
I think when he started many trainers/behaviourists subscribed to the theory of pack dominance and being the pack leader, it was how they learnt, certainly many trainers around here belive it and I have witnessed trainers putting dogs on the ground and laying on them until they 'submit'

Now we know better and have a better understanding but that way of thinking was around for years and like any 'old school' learning it's difficult to see the new way is better for some people. Stick to what you know and all that

Quick fixes, however they are achieved look good We don't see what goes on in the minutes not shown!!

Hopefully with the new studies and newer trainers coming through eventually most people will see it's a better more humane way however by then there'll probably be new studies and a newer better way
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I think them that are supporting him have little understanding about dog training, or positive methods at least. - I doubt many look into him, or even see past the 'work' shown on TV. - we all understand that dog training is a long term thing, and only 30 mins or so is shown on the programme. - The programme doesnt show the affects of the dogs after CM has left the owners, and them that havent looked into him wont be aware of the horror stories around with dogs becoming more aggressive, being PTS ect'. - some cant understand that he gets results through scaring dogs. Hes teaching through fear, anyone can get a dog to do as its told if its fearful enough.

I think to some extent they are uneducated, or not interested enough to look at things from others views. - They take his word for things, they see the good and must believe that after the 30 mins on TV the dog is an angel, never to cause a problem again - and for me its scary to think potential owners would think training is that easy, or that his methods are acceptable.
thats how i see his fans as well.
just not interested enough

i think it that simple, not brainwashing or ought like that.

or second thoughts, could be brainwashing if you regard all TV/celebrity culture as so.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
thats how i see his fans as well.
just not interested enough
It constantly astounds me what people turn out to be CM fans though.

Last year I found out that someone from my class at school (100 miles away and we left school 32 years ago!) had been living literally in the next street to me for the past year.

She had a rescue dog, which came to her ready trained about 5 years ago, Previous to that she said she'd had a collie and a golden retriever while her kids were growing up.

For a while, it was great taking our dogs out together on walks - they got on well, and still do although I've moved now. But she kept on and on and on about CM, had all his videos, and it made me boil inside because of course I'd only had my dog 5 years, so she obviously knew more about dog training and psychology than me! (I did try mentioning The Culture Clash, other revered dog books I own, the clicker training I've done, and even the national TV show I was on with Merlin doing freestyle training with a world champion trainer).

This is someone who, unlike me, went on to do a degree, is at least as if not more intelligent as I (we were in the top band at school) and seemed a rational, sensible logical person.

Then Merlin was involved in a 'handbags at dawn' scrap with another dog in the park. We yelled at the dogs and they stopped but Merlin was upset and ran off, wouldn't come back to me for several minutes...... Minutes in which the CM fan told me I should go and grab him by the scruff, pin him down and show him who's boss (for being in a minor scuffle he didn't even start!).

Through gritted teeth I told her I would not do any such thing to my dog, and walked off as calmly as I could..... to try and reassure my frightened dog and get him back on the lead.

Haven't seen much of her since. Funny, that.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:33 PM
KW; I missed this bit
also, from what you have read online, what would be your basis for thinking these people arent aware of other trainers/methods or that they dont think other trainers also train dogs well?
They basically say so.

They actually post stuff like; 'get off Cesar's back, he is saving dogs from a terrible life, even death' 'NO ONE ELSE can do what he does' 'no-one can train dogs like Cesar'

and there are loads of books on +R based dog training that they surely must see cruising by while they click on CM's book, yet they think they obviously mean nothing?

What has anyone actually seen CM train a dog to do (that I havent already stated here)? Does he have them dance and respond like Mary Ray? (just for example) I dont think so. I have actually read his books and they (OK not ALL of them) say the SAME stuff OVER and OVER and basically decribes the TV programme's/episodes whilst reciting Exercise, disipline, affection through out and this is the extent of his sharing of knowledge from the one that 'no one else' can be better than....so why would they not read them and question (or even if they dont question his ways at the time, get curious and wonder abbout they books..)?
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »