View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Told my dogs are vicious and should be reported!

AAAAHHHHHH! I have really had enough of stressful encounters lately! We miss Cherry so much but thought that having 2 friendly dogs would minimise the risk of getting into "scraps" with people.

Told today my dogs were vicious and should be reported!

We were walking along the heath just before I dropped Jamie into work today and heard someone calling their dog and then a Jack Russell terrier came hurtling around the corner, owner out off sight. He sniffed Parker and then wouldn't leave him alone and was "interfering" with him and then tried to jump up at his back. Parker started wuffing and growling at him and Jamie said to the owner that Parker was a nice temperament dog but would put her dog in his place if he didn't go away. The dog wouldn't take the message so Jamie went and grabbed its collar and waited for the owner to come and get it.

The owner said her dog was oversexed and she was thinking about whether to get it neutered or not. I said to her "I definitely would!"

Later on in our walk the same thing happened only this time it started sniffing and licking Parker round his private area and then went on to Izzy and wouldn't leave her backside alone. She was uncomfortable and growled and wuffed at it like Parker had done but it didn't deter it in the least! She had her tail tucked right between her legs and looked up at Jamie as if she was asking him for help so he grabbed the dog again. We've only had Izzy for 2 weeks now but I have never seen her bark or growl at any other dog she has met during this time, she seems a very well-balanced dog in her greetings.

The owner then had a go at us saying our dogs were vicious and she wanted to report us! I replied that her dog was the one out of order and our dogs had had enough of being molested like this and it should have taken notice of their signals and she should not have it off lead if it didn't go back to her when called. She said she had taken it to puppy classes and they had said she should not put it on the lead every time she called it back. I said she should not let it off a long line if it didn't go back at all!

It did degenerate a bit after that as I was not happy about her saying my dogs were vicious when they are both socially happy friendly dogs with other dogs. I said hers was a typical JRT (sorry to those with well-behaved ones but the ones we meet are all usually hooligans allowed to run riot) and then she started fing and blinding and I said that was nice language to use in front of her children.

I think I want to move to a desert island somewhere for a few months to relax! Another numpty dog owner I will avoid like the plague next time I see her. She said her dog was a puppy but it wasn't a small puppy and needs to be told acceptable behaviour around adult dogs. I just hope she doesn't come across any of the dog-aggressive dog walkers when out with it because it is going to get mashed if so.

If she is not happy with my dogs growling at her dog when it molests them I will just have to stop it coming near them in the first place by recalling both mine on leads and warning her to recall hers or I will use my pet corrector to stop it harrassing them.

GRRRR-rant over!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
AAAAHHHHHH! I have really had enough of stressful encounters lately! We miss Cherry so much but thought that having 2 friendly dogs would minimise the risk of getting into "scraps" with people.

Told today my dogs were vicious and should be reported!

We were walking along the heath just before I dropped Jamie into work today and heard someone calling their dog and then a Jack Russell terrier came hutling around the corner, owner out off sight. He sniffed Parker and then wouldn't leave him alone and was "interfering" with him and then tried to jump up at his back. Parker started wuffing and growling at him and Kamie said to the owner that Parker was a nice temperament dog but would put her dog in his palce if he didn't go away. The dog wouldn't take the message so Jamie went and grabbed its collar and waited for the owner to come and get it.

The owner said her dog was oversexed and she was thinking about whether to get it neutered or not. I said to her "I definitely would!"

Later on in our walk the same thing happened only this time it started sniffing and licking Parker round his private area and then went on to Izzy and wouldn't leave her backside alone. She was uncomfortable and growled and wuffed at it like Parker had done but it didn't deter it in the least! She had her tail tucked right between her legs and looked up at Jamie as if she was asking him for help so he grabbed the dog again. We've only had Izzy for 2 weeks now but I have never seen her bark or growl at any other dog she has met during this time, she seems a very well-balanced dog in her greetings.

The owner then had a go at us saying our dogs were vicious and she wanted to report us! I replied that her dog was the one out of order and our dogs had had enough of being molested like this and it should have taken notice of their signals and she should not have it off lead if it didn;t go back to her when called. She said she had taken it to puppy classes and they had said she should not put it on the lead every time she called it back. I said she should not let it off a long line if it didn;t go back at all!

It did degenerate a bit after that as I was not happy about her saying my dogs were vicious when they are both socially happy friendly dogs with other dogs. I said hers was a typical JRT (sorry to those with well-behaved ones but the ones we meet are all usually hooligans allowed to run riot) and then she started fing and blinding and I said that was nice language to use in front of her children.

I think I want to move to a desert island somewhere for a few months to relax! Another numpty dog owner I will avoid like the plague next time I see her. She said her dog was a puppy but it wasn't a small puppy and needs to be told acceptable behaviour around adult dogs. I just hope she doesn't come across any of the dog-aggressive dog walkers when out with it because it is going to get mashed if so.

If she is not happy with my dogs growling at her dog when it molests them I will just have to stop it ocming near them in the first place by recalling both mine on leads and warning her to recall hers or I will use my pet corrector to stop it harrassing them.
As an owner of a "molester" - my boy Hal, now sadly deceased, was entire and loved to investigate other dogs, especially the girls - I have every sympathy with you. I remember all too well what Hal was like, and I get extremely annoyed by the attitude of dog owners who keep their dogs entire - fair enough, I have no problem with that - but then get all crinkly when their dog gets reprimanded by other dogs for showing undue interest in the naughty bits! Dear old Hal was a rootler of both humans and dogs, and had many a slap or a nip over the years. You live by the sword you die by the sword.

Your dogs have done nothing wrong, and sound to me as if they behaved in an exemplary fashion considering the provocation.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Gnasher whether a dog is entire or not is irrelevant as is its sex. Dogs get molested by opposite sex, same sex, entire and neutered dogs because their owners will not or cannot control them. Period.

Kerryowner, you might want to take a leaf out of my book, when people threaten to report you, say "Go ahead, I live (insert relevant address) that is my car (insert relevant reg no) and then say I would really like you to do so.

MAke a note of time, place, event, dog, etc and put in a complaint before they do.

Voila!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
As an owner of a "molester" - my boy Hal, now sadly deceased, was entire and loved to investigate other dogs, especially the girls - I have every sympathy with you. I remember all too well what Hal was like, and I get extremely annoyed by the attitude of dog owners who keep their dogs entire - fair enough, I have no problem with that - but then get all crinkly when their dog gets reprimanded by other dogs for showing undue interest in the naughty bits! Dear old Hal was a rootler of both humans and dogs, and had many a slap or a nip over the years. You live by the sword you die by the sword.

Your dogs have done nothing wrong, and sound to me as if they behaved in an exemplary fashion considering the provocation.
Thanks

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Gnasher whether a dog is entire or not is irrelevant as is its sex. Dogs get molested by opposite sex, same sex, entire and neutered dogs because their owners will not or cannot control them. Period.

Kerryowner, you might want to take a leaf out of my book, when people threaten to report you, say "Go ahead, I live (insert relevant address) that is my car (insert relevant reg no) and then say I would really like you to do so.

MAke a note of time, place, event, dog, etc and put in a complaint before they do.

Voila!
I don't think I would like to do that SB as they might be nutties and I don't want them knowing where I live or which car is mine in the car park!

Sounds like you've had this sort of scenario happen to you then?

Your response does sound a lot better and calmer than mine though! I felt awful afterwards and upset that I hadn't handled things very well and allowed myself to lose my temper.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Your response does sound a lot better and calmer than mine though! I felt awful afterwards and upset that I hadn't handled things very well and allowed myself to lose my temper.
I am a bit of a control freak, I never want to demonstrate that others have annoyed me to the extent of losing control!

Also I imagine that I am ALWAYS being recorded or filmed which is a good incentive to behave well, that way nobody will be able to play a DVD of an old harridan effing and jeffing!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Similar happened to my hub when out with Tilly recently. She particulary doesn't like small dogs sniffing as they get right under her & unfortunatley after air snapping didn't work, she pinned the dog down, but got off as soon as hub called her & ran to him.
The woman was hysterical, right in hubs face with her finger - proper chav style about reporting him & his vicious dog who shouldn't be allowed out in public etc..
She wouldn't have it that as soon as he called Tilly she came away & was sat calmly next to him as she ranted & raved in his face.
It was a difficult situation and I don't want her pinning down dogs & so have taken heed & avoid her coming into contact with strange small dogs offlead since then.
It was also difficult because she was female & hub is a bloke - he did just humour her, had it been me, being the lady that I am I probably would have snotted her had she pointed her finger in my face
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 09:38 PM
I doubt very much - in fact we could have a poll! - there is a single dog owner in the UK who hasn't, at some time over the span of their dogs' lives, run into someone like this...

....who is either /ignorant/misinterpreting dog language/secretly wanting dogs to be vicious, or simply their piles are acting up or their knee hurts or they got a nasty letter from the bank manager an hour beforehand....
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Yup me too - I had a chav type lad with an EBT who got all up in Baileys face, scratching and pawing at him, Bailey growled and snapped at him and it was MY fault!!

Sometimes I think maybe I should just let Bailey do his thing and teach the dogs a lesson - I never would but sometimes I gotta admit it's appealing when people let their dogs run all over with no control over them and they cause havoc and ruin good dogs by their behaviour Bailey was fine with other dogs until a couple of these unsupervised dogs upset him
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2011, 05:58 AM
Someone threatening to report you is not nice. I was reported last week for having a dangerous dog.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=152324

It was not a very nice experience having the police round.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am a bit of a control freak,
Noooooooooooooooooo! really!? hehehehe
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >