Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2011, 11:56 AM

Silly, Silly, Silly

Before I start, I know it was stupid, for those who like to vent their strong opinions you can't make me feel worse than I do already!

On Saturday we took Ben and Max to the beach and they were chasing their balls in the water. Ben was watching Max and dropped his. It was to far out for us to get so we were showing him where it was with big stones. We've always done this and the dogs have never picked up a stone let alone tried to catch one. You may be able to see where this is going.....

OH threw one just as Ben saw the ball. He looked round and the stone hit his mouth. Ben didn't seem at all bothered and picked up his ball and carried on playing. I wanted to check his mouth because I couldn't see how that would do no damage and as I looked I saw that his lower right canine had no top on it. It was all bloody but Ben still wanted to play.

I called the vets and said we would be there just as they were closing so they said they'd make sure the vet was still there in case we were late. It was a 40 min journey from the beach to the vets and in that time the bleeding had stopped and then the vet saw that the tooth was split lengthways as well as having the top knocked off. Poor Ben, he had it taken out yesterday so my gorgeous boy only has 3 fangs.

He's taken it well and is milking it as he loves he attention. The tooth came out in 3 pieces.

Never again will I throw anything hard and we will buy proper floating toys for the dogs that they can't (hopefully) can't lose sight of.

My OH was devastated got into a lot of trouble at work because he took yesterday off to be there for Ben.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm not going to vent any strong opinions as accidents can and do happen. He's perfectly healthy and happy so I shouldn't worry about it..

Teeth bleed for a while though..
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Oh dear, poor Ben I hope he continues to do well.

Accidents do happen, Ben is no doubt in some discomfort but he will be ok. You have learnt from it, now try and put it behind you and enjoy your dogs
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2011, 12:07 PM
It's almost behind me! I know it was an accident but what a stupid one.

He's OK though, I think we're far more bothered by it.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Jed and Flynn like to play a game whereby I throw stuff into the waters edge and they jump up and try and catch it. I normally throw little pebbles that cant do much damage but I stupidly threw a bigger one the other day and it made a terrible noise on Flynn's teeth.

Fortunately, there was no damage but i'll be far more careful next time.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 12:21 PM
These things happen.
There are thousands of dogs who play with pebbles every day, and none of them lose teeth.

Merlin lost one of his front nibblers last year in a similar accident - a friend was about to throw a pebble into the sea for him and he anticipated her move and jumped up for it just as she threw it, meaning a tooth/stone collision occurred. I had a vet nurse friend look at it that night, and we agreed to keep a close eye on it; a year later the stump is still healthy and hasn't ever caused any swelling or discomfort, or become infected.

But I'm a lot more careful now, and so is Merlin!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Ouch, plenty of high visible toys that float for dogs, although in the sea unless you have a retrieve obsessed super swimmer there is always the risk they will go out to sea..............

Top tip

(empty plastic bottle or you can put a small bit of water in it, and yellow electricians tape on either end and middle)

Fantastic foam frisbees (get yellow one)

http://www.neeps.com/078047.html

Water Wubbas (yellow)

http://www.neeps.com/269399.html

Fantastic Foam balls on a rope

http://www.traininglines.co.uk/fanta...pe-3967-0.html

And of course the Air Kong retrieve sticks on a rope (yellow)
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks for that, I do feel a bit better knowing we're not the only ones. It's not until an accident happens that sometimes I think about the dangers.

I'll have a look at those links thank you.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Oh, poor Ben

Accidents happen though, so just give him cuddles and don't worry about it
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Poor Ben! As the others have said, accidents do happen. Otis has had both his canines chipped by me throwing stones into the sea on 2 separate occasions You'd think I'd have learned the first time
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >