Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 07:02 AM

Agility class

What do you actually do when you go to an agility class?
I know it may be a silly question but I have never been to one. At dog school we always finish with a couple of times round the course which is fine, but its not actual teaching.
Culotte wizzes round like a mad thing and does nearly everything on her own (apart from the weves ) but it would be nice to get it all a bit more organised. So come on you agility peeps what do you do in class?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Honestly it depends on the level you are working at.

When I trained in Norfolk, we had a baby class which was learning the equiptment and starting to put a few bits together.
The intermediate class which was lots of confidence building exercises, and some patterns.

And a competition class, which I rotated - Usually we would have a jumping pattern, which we could practice lots of different patterns, then I would have the contacts grouped together and the weave with some difficult entries - I would have 2 people working in each place, then we would swap. Every 3-4 weeks we would have a course and sometimes we would have a circular knockout (type) course up and have some races. It was fun
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2011, 10:37 AM
We have pre agility classes...that teach wait, contacts, the out & front & back crosses,tunnel...as well as the important recall away from distractions. You also find out which motivation/reward, is best for your Dog.
Beginners then learn poles & planks (very low to start) & reinforce the contacts.
They also introduce the weaves (channel to start).
Once Dogs are confident , the next class has raised heights, the weaves are gradually moved in & we start doing the tyre & long jump. Learn about jump patterns etc.
The next 2classes are competition ones.
It's great fun with the right instructor.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Yup totaly depends

rock solid wait important
recal over jump
send over jump
run with dog over jump
low contacts
tunnels, send to tunnels
turns and crosses
layring
flat work
cavellettie
weaves

in no particular order
wegle
New Member!
Female 

27-06-2011, 03:19 PM
We go to a beginners agility class. We usually start with one bit of equipment. Slowly getting the dog used to it and making sure they wait on all contacts etc. We will then try and link together a few of the obstacles that we have worked on. It's different every week!
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Ok thanks, this is totally different to the way we do it at dog school. Everyone does the course of obstacles from word go and all the dogs are taken round on their leads. I have to say I let Culotte off as I really don’t like doing it with a lead on, but I trust her to do what I say and not run off, I also am the only one that makes their dog sit and wait before we start.
I did suggest to the dog school that it may be nice just to do some agility classes to see how it went, as I would love to have a go at just agility and I am sure in my little corner of France there are others but there are just no classes.