Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:23 PM

Success stories?

I was just wondering if there are any Dogsey success stories that people have, since starting your dog on Raw, that anyone wants to share?

I know people start Raw for different reasons, but I thought it could be interesting to read what changes there have been in your dog, no matter how big or small.

So, anyone want to share?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:27 PM
I would say Jake is a success story. When he was about 6/7 months old, he started to lose the fur around his eyes, muzzle and on the tips of his ears. He developed sores around his eyes, that were red raw and bled. He also had recurrent ear infections. After going through many treatments for about 6 months, which included being on various ear drops, antihistamines, stronghold and steroids, the vets finally decided it was an allergy and he was put on an elimination diet. The result of that was that he is allergic to grains etc. The vet suggested putting him on a hypoallergenic dog food but after much research I decided to go for a raw diet. It has been over a year that he has been on a raw diet, and he looks great for it. He was absolutely miserable back then, and in a lot of pain and discomfort. Now, though he is happy, healthy and has none of the pain!

This was him before…

and this is him now… my happy, smiling boy

He has come so far, and is looking fantastic now! I am so pleased with how is looking! It was a long decision whether or not to go Raw, but I am glad I did and Jake definitely is! He looks forward to every meal, he loves every meal and he really licks his chops after his meal… something that he never really did with dry. I do have worries that he has more allergies, but i really hope (and honestly think) that if he does, it won't be affected by his diet.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:34 PM
It is difficult to identify what changes if any have occurred to my dog since changing to raw as she is now 11 years old and was switched to raw overnight at a year old after I had completed all my research (a year's worth) on the subject.

My younger one has been fed raw since before he arrived home with me at 7 weeks.

I love feeding raw as it is very simple, does not take any time to prepare, is not expensive and the dogs LOVE it.

I enjoy providing my dogs with the species appropriate diet with a great deal of variety in colour, size, texture, smell to excite them.

My elder dog has only been to the vet for jabs, a spay, a reaction to stitches and a broken toe (the latter healed in 2 weeks rather than 4) in her 11 years.

The younger one (6) has only had one attack of the squits in his life and again only been to vets due to injury.

They never have fleas and they have been extremely fit with superb stamina and strength which is down to many factors, but one is, I believe, a good diet. Their teeth are strong (although the elder one is now beginning to show wear and tear).

I am a firm believer that you cannot make a first class product out of third class materials and will always try to source and research their diet in order that they receive optimum nutrition.

Would they be the same on commercial mass produced diets? Who knows!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It is difficult to identify what changes if any have occurred to my dog since changing to raw as she is now 11 years old and was switched to raw overnight at a year old after I had completed all my research (a year's worth) on the subject.

My younger one has been fed raw since before he arrived home with me at 7 weeks.

I love feeding raw as it is very simple, does not take any time to prepare, is not expensive and the dogs LOVE it.

I enjoy providing my dogs with the species appropriate diet with a great deal of variety in colour, size, texture, smell to excite them.

My elder dog has only been to the vet for jabs, a spay, a reaction to stitches and a broken toe (the latter healed in 2 weeks rather than 4) in her 11 years.

The younger one (6) has only had one attack of the squits in his life and again only been to vets due to injury.

They never have fleas and they have been extremely fit with superb stamina and strength which is down to many factors, but one is, I believe, a good diet. Their teeth are strong (although the elder one is now beginning to show wear and tear).

I am a firm believer that you cannot make a first class product out of third class materials and will always try to source and research their diet in order that they receive optimum nutrition.

Would they be the same on commercial mass produced diets? Who knows!
Great post i do think for some dogs it is harder to see the difference, and in some it is more noticeable. I think Jake would be ok on a hypoallergenic diet, but for the same reasons as you, i choose a Raw diet for him, and i love it... and he loves it too!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 06:53 AM
My dog Moon came from Vietnam so was raised on a diet of 90% rice with a few table scraps. This was obviously a poor diet and ge was very thin so I was keen to get him on a balanced diet. We struggled for a year to get him to eat kibble, soaked it, add toppers etc but ge would eat the bate minimum and remained skinny. In desperation I tried raw and wow, suddenly he adores mealtimes and the stress just went away Sadly we lost him a few months later but at least he had a full belly for a few months.

With Cain I tried him on a few different kibbles but he was plagued by explosive yellow poos sometimes he wouldn't pass a solid stool for days, and when he did they were HUGE and he was going about 6 times a day. Finally, again in desperation, I tried him on raw. His tummy settled right down and now he does two perfect poos a day such a relief. Plus I love that it calmed him down. No dog chew lasts as long as a whole rabbit, he'd sit for half an hour chewing that then fall asleep, all full and content. So nice to see my hyper puppy calm and quiet! He got a bit porky recently and I managed tp get the excess off in two months, it seemed quicker and easier to control weight than on kibble.

I will probably feed raw in the future unless it disagrees with my dog in which case I'll feed a high quality kibble. Feed whatever suits the dog, but in both may cases it has been raw
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Razzle in kennels had constant diarrhea and tummy upsets so they had him on fish. Even this wasn`t stopping it completely and he wasn`t exactly enjoying it so I put him on Raw.
As soon as he began to settle (it was partly stress) his poos firmed, his weight went up and his coat became thick and glossy. And he loves his grub!

The others loved it too... so they went on it as well.
My new little one arrived underweight, with a dull coat and a box of Bakers. He is now a shiny, happy little person who tucks into tripe and poultry necks with the best of them.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 08:30 AM
My boy Sam always had a slightly unruly, odd feeling coat that matted easily, and he would get bright yellow poo all over his bum that I would have to hose off
I took him to the vets for his jabs and was told he would have to go under anesthetic to have his teeth cleaned as they were quite bad.
He had always been on tinned food and wasn't much of a chewer so rarely ate chew sticks. When I started preparing for getting Cooper I looked into Dally safe diets and decided to feed him raw as I knew what he was getting, it made sense so I started Becka and Sam on some chicken wings and other bits and bobs. In 2 weeks Sam's teeth were beautifully clean. He was on the diet for about 6 months before he died and in that time he always had lovely poos, his coat started to go silky and matt less as well.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Great posts guys Its great to hear people's stories!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Well all of mine did well on a quality kibble, they were happy, fit and healthy and always enjoyed their food with no issues and now they're raw fed they are exactly the same. I changed them over overnight and they love it, I find it no more difficult to feed than kibble.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 08:37 AM
i love feeding raw to my dogs. and they love eating it

daphni was a very fussy eater on kibble. she would never eat a full meal, she would just pick.. she would go days without eating her food, i tried everything and she was still fussy. she was also allergic to her biscuits, and pulled out all her fur, and had really itchy skin, since being on raw her hair has grown back and shes not as itchy and scratchy as she was.
i love watching how excited they get when they see their food bowls, and watching them wolf it down, and crunching on a good bone

asbo has been fed on raw since 8 weeks old, so i cant say ive noticed any difference from kibble, but he is a happy healthy dog, is coat and skin are in great condition, he has lovely shiny white teeth, and is full of energy

i wont switch back to kibble or commercial foods, i dont think they would appreciate it if i did....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >