Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 10:21 AM

Gem's trip to the vets

Took all the dogs to vets yesterday, Siba eeded his booster, Flint had the runs [sorry too much info?!] and we were a bit worried about Gemma as she is just not growing!

I told the vet that we felt that she should be bigger at her age, and told him about how she sometimes pees in her sleep, although she hasnt done this for a while now.

He said she should be alot bigger and said he would estimate her age at about 4 months going on her size...but shes 8 months!
He said she may have slight dwarfism, which may evercause any problems, she would just be a small dog. But it can cause problems with her organs and joints, like her kidneys...alarm bells started ringing at this point....could this be why she pees in her sleep???

He said if we have any more concerns about her or if anything changes or if she keeps peeing then to take her back for tests, boods, urine, ultrasound etc

We are keeping our fingers crossed that everything will work itself out!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 05:19 PM
I really hope Gemma is ok - maybe she will have a growth spurt soon.
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Really hope everything will work itself out for Gemma
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 11:22 PM
How much does your vet know about Border Collies ?

My first BC was a small bitch, she wasn't a dwarf she was just a small BC, she lived until she was almost 17.

A friend of mine had a dwarf BC in her bitch's one & only litter. She is a quarter of the size of an average BC bitch & still looks like a puppy(she's 3 years old)of under 6 months.

If your other two are males then she will look quite small in relation to them. I though Keewee was small until I realized she is as tall as Jessie(who is rough coated & quite a long bitch in relation to her height) & not much shorter than her half brother Rjj. I'll try to get some photos of them this weekend(it will now rain non stop until Monday )
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 08:41 AM
I hope the vet is wrong and that Gemma is just a small bitch. BCs come in all shapes and sizes, and there are some very dainty/small bitches around.

Do you have a recent photo of Gemma with your boys, to give us a size comparison?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Iv just taken some pictures of her with Simba, and really she doesnt look that much smaller in the photos :S

She is much smaller than them in real life, perhaps the photos dont really show it very well but here goes...

By the way- Simba slouches when he sits, so looks very short lol

kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Wow now I see these pictures she really doesnt look that small at all :S

Maybe I was worrying for nothing ????

Shes smaller than Flint and Simba, but then again they are males :S

Feel rather stupid now tbh!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 04:31 PM
She looks a lovely wee girl - and I agree that photos don't always give the full picture. She doesn't look worryingly small from them, but it is hard to say without seeing her in real life.

How old is she? Is she a rescue? I am thinking that if she was a rescue then she could feasibly have another (smaller) breed in her make up, but she does look 100% collie in the photos.

Oh, and no need to feel silly at all. The vet clearly thought you had a point too. I wouldn't worry about it and just see how she develops I am assuming she is ok in every other way, other than being a bit small?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 08:42 PM
We got her at 10weeks old from a breeder, saw both parents who were iSds registered. There's nothing else that concerns us about her, she's crazy lol. she wasn't runt of litter either which is a question we often get asked lol. I don't mind if she's going to just be a ikkle puppy forever, forever young eh?! thAnks for replys everyone
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 09:01 PM
She doesnt look abnormally small to me to be honest, ripley is a small bitch..
This is her at 8 months (VERY puppy looking)...

And she matured absolutely fine...(next to mav- male, who was 11 months in the pic)

So i wouldnt worry about the size thing on its own. The peeing in sleep, however is not normal. Maybe you could ask for bloods to be done? Just to put your mind at rest.