Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Mmm..another divorce on the horizon!!!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Presumably no one on here ever made a mistake with their first dog then?
OK, probably a silly choice of breeds when it's her first dog and she seems quite involved in its care, and probably not the ideal situation for a young dog but hey - they've looked at pet sitters, invested in babygates, etc., the dog gets walked daily and the wife is considering whether this dog is right for this situation. Slightly later than they should have done but how many posts have you guys seen about neighbours who chuck their problem dogs out in the garden, never walk them, show no interest in whether the dog is unhappy, etc.
I have to applaud the woman for making that post and I hope she takes some of the very sensible advice posted. It takes a strong person to openly admit they are failing.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 09:19 AM
At least she's asking for advice, it's more than what a lot of people do. If she's never had a puppy before and her hubbys gone on about the sort of thing you'd expect from a well trained adult dog then obviously this whole puppy business is going to be a hell of a shock to her. The breed probably isn't the best one for the situation but that's not to say they can't work something out.

I remember being completely and utterly overwhelmed when faced with a biting, jumping, food stealing, demanding adolescent dog. And this wasn't my first dog! Rupert is a well mannered adult now but he was a nightmare for a good few months. Thankfully people gave me advice instead of just rolling their eyes and I got through it.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 12:54 PM
I admire her for continuing to try (talked into by OH perhaps?) but I don't hold out much hope for it succeeding, especially when she becomes pregnant......

Poor dog.....
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I admire her for continuing to try (talked into by OH perhaps?) but I don't hold out much hope for it succeeding, especially when she becomes pregnant......

Poor dog.....
Poor dog, being taken to training classes, walked daily, having an owner who's bothering to deal with its problems..
I have been frustrated to the point of tears by a dog in the past and I grew up with dogs. Dogs with issues can be very stressful, and whilst the problems may seem typical puppy-type behaviour to us lot, mouthing/nipping, pulling on the lead, attacking her pet cat, etc. probably aren't quite what she thought she was letting herself in for. I think the woman deserves a break for trying!