Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 07:14 PM

What a nice walk - for a change.

Louie - as some of you may know - is a sod on the lead.

Though I have bought tools to help me - we haven't found one that suits him - practical wise - they're perfect but rub in his face.

I decided to take him out on a walk and try the heel work that I've been practising but could never get him to concentrate outside the drive..

He did quite well and any time he didn't listen - I walked the other way then when he was heeling I would click and treat - then continue the way I wanted to go. It took us a while to get down half the street - but we got there. THEN there was the BINS!!! I'd lost all his concentration so decided to abandon the walk before I got frustrated at him - he'd done good up to the bins so it was a success.

So we walked back and he was doing fantastic - I kept changing my pace and he wasn't totally all eyes on but I'd click him when he gave me eye contact. Then we got to the road and he'd sat at the side of me - but then I couldn't see due to a parked car ($%&*%!) so I stepped forward, but not so I was on the road - then Louie also stepped forward and sat right next to where I'd just moved - not even asked - he just came right to heel, of course this was clicked and treated!!

Then we had to cross into the middle and I haven't taught him to sit as soon as I stopped - not consciously anyway - the other two know it but tend to only do it on one to one walks. Anyway - I stopped in the middle on the little island thingy, was about to gather his lead up and tell him sat - looked down and he was sat at heel, and looking at me - so he got a click and a treat..

Then he was fantastic - until the church let out (don't know what they were doing) and this woman came past us - I told him sit and he did but he woofed at her - and then she went to fuss him (always when you wish they would ignore you!) and she said "Chocolate ones are always the rogues" (why do they always say that about labs?) anyway I corrected her saying he was cross and she complemented him and walked off. A huge lorry came sailing past and scared him, but I managed to get him back at my side THEN...

Children, a buggy and cookies! I sat him down and I knew I wasn't going to win this "stay" so I held onto his collar and told him to stay and he did - but his nose didn't half wander to those cookies that the children were wafting as they walked by. Louie then decided after we'd walked on a bit - to jump up at the church wall and watch some children play football - he was about to woof but I caught him with an Ah Ah and then clicked him when he looked at me without any noise...

So we had a nice walk - despite the lows but I remained cool and calm - which is what I need to work on. And his heelwork is coming on without the need for tools.
Of course this was on a normally boring road so if it was the usual boring road - we would've gotten further. But I guess it would be different when we move tomorrow and there are tonnes of exciting smells for him and my treats will have to go higher in value - I'm at sausages - how much higher can I get?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Liver cake always seems to send the dogs mad at training if anybody has got any! Their own treats cease to be good enough and i've noticed that my hotdog sausages are losing value so I need to think of something different (mental note to self to Google liver cake recipe!)

Sounds like your hard work is paying off.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Liver cake
ilb Liver
1lb flour either regular or rice
2 eggs
splash of olive oil

Liquidise all together and put in a dish putb in oven ( about 30mins)or micro wave (about 10 mins)
or un till knife commes out clean.

Cut up and bag freeze what you don't use right away. Defrosts really quick

You can add garlic or parsley if you wish.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Oooh, thanks for that!
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Sounds like he's doing brilliantly with his one-to-one training
musky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Well done you and Louie of course, it sounds like you are making real progress there, I know it can be challenging
keep up the good work
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Brilliant work! Sometimes it's good for those unexpected things to come, you handled it well
Great to hear how things are coming along and I'm sure they will continue to