Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 02:52 PM

Plentyoffish

OK I cant believe I am even thinking this

I was in a relationship for a long time but all good now and kinda thinking I might like to get out there and meet new people

Even just someone to go to the movies with or something
All my friends are getting pretty boring and just wanna sit in and do couply things

Its been more than 10 years since I have been on a date!! (sound like a total looser)

and I have no idea how people meet people any more lol, the option I had when I was 25 of just going out to a club, getting p1shed and seeing what happend really isnt quite so appealing

Has anyone tried any of these online dating thingies? Is it really worth scrolling tru all the mails of 'you look hot want some webcam fun!'
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 03:18 PM
I was on plentyoffish, and so was my Mum!
My Mum met her current partner on there!

I met my OH on a different dating website.......we met on the Saturday (I drove to where he was living....about an hour away from me) after a few weeks of talking on MSN and seeing each other using a webcam (we also were friends on Face ache). On the Sunday he moved in with me (Yes, the day after we met!), and we are engaged to be married

I had a rule - if people couldn't be arsed writing something decent in their profile, I wouldn't reply to their messages!
If you don't like message you are being sent, you can report/delete them, so it's quite easy
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 03:23 PM
I met my OH on plentyoffish and safe to say I don't regret it for a minute!
I think you need to, first and foremostly, have the right attitude towards it. I originally signed up to it just as I'd moved out of the family home - I was in a house with people I didn't know that well, had less money and means of transport to see friends, and all my housemates were couples so if we went out, it was for a few drinks after work but then straight home - not really nights out where I might meet someone. A few of my friends had been on there so I gave it a try and I can certainly see now that I was a bit too naive about it all, and definately trying to drown my homesickness/loneliness with "love". Chatted to lots of guys that ended up vanishing off the face of the earth, had lots of messages from creeps that were deleted straight away, and had to turn down lots of guys that just didn't hold any appeal - e.g. totally different hobbies and interests, ttly 2 in2 txt cht n al dat stuff. The first guy I actually met up with turned out to only really be after one thing, and when I made it obvious he wasn't getting it, the texts, phone calls, visits all fizzled out, and when a friend visited his profile to see if he was still active, he ended up chatting her up! So that was a lesson learnt
Anyway, I gave it a break, decided to be happy being single, we ended up getting a new housemate who I ended up dating for a while who gave me a much better perspective on relationships, and just basically learnt to love myself - if I couldn't be happy by myself then how could I expect to be happy with someone else, it just doesn't work. I ended up moving back home for a little while and one day decided to log back on to my POF account, chatted to a few guys, turned down several guys who I could now recognise were only there to find a bootycall, and ended up getting a message off OH. We sent a couple of messages via the site then added each other to MSN, and when his first message to be was "Is that one of your dogs?" about my MSN picture, I knew he was the one We hit off really well and ended up chatting for hours, sending each other funny Youtube videos and websites (so knew we had the same sense of humour!), talked about life, and exchanging phone numbers when we had to log off, texting all through the night - we knew there was a "spark", as much as you can get through written conversation anyway. He'd not long come out of an 8 year relationship though, so we decided we wouldn't rush into things, and after a few days of chatting we decided we'd meet up in about 2 or 3 weeks from then. We never made it that long as we were just chatting so often that we both agreed we wanted to meet up and make sure that spark was there in person, rather than build up all this connection and expectations and find we just didn't gel. Well, we met up, and despite my shyness, we clicked straight away. The day after the first date we were both too shy to ask each other for another date, not knowing if either liked each other in that way, but we were both sat there in the afternoon talking about our plans for that night and we said screw it, lets meet up again. Third date was about 2 days after that, and I don't think we ever went more than 3 days without seeing each other during those first few weeks, and then it just became a daily thing, and after 4 months we thought it was a bit of a waste of petrol and he just moved in OK, didn't quite go like that but that's the simplified version. I've been stuck with him ever since and he's totally smashed my longest relationship record (which was a whopping 3 months ), I'm hoping to definately improve on his of 8 years We're now saving to buy our own place and although neither of us are really fussed about marriage, I definately have hopes for us spending very happy lifetimes together! So I definately think online dating can work. A good friend of mine met a guy about the same time as me from POF too and they've been living together for just a little less than me and OH and they're still very happy too.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 03:23 PM
I met my husband on match.com, been togther 10 years this year

Go for it, you got nothing to loose x
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 03:44 PM
My daughter has had a couple of dates from online dating agencies but they have never come to anything
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
My daughter has had a couple of dates from online dating agencies but they have never come to anything
Have been on lots of dates from websites myself....it's like meeting guys anywhere...you've sometimes got to date quite a few before you meet the right one!
Has taken me years of dates/long term relationships, and even a failed marriage - but i've found the right one now
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 05:37 PM
I met my husband on a dating site 6 years ago and have never looked back since. If you are going to try it, don't expect too much and don't take things personally. I treated it like a computer game where you get taken out to dinner. I encountered a lot of married frogs looking for a mistress before I chanced upon a prince.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 05:39 PM
I've been on plentyoffish and another one. I met my OH on the other one and we've been together 3 1/2 years now. It does work but as in real life, there are a few losers on there too. Just keep your loser radar on and enjoy yourself!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 09:37 PM
I was just about to register on that site (still trying to think of a username...) but felt a bit "odd" going on a dating site, but this has made me feel like it may be a good idea! Lol. Even though I am not going in expecting anything, might just give it a go
steve78
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
I was just about to register on that site (still trying to think of a username...) but felt a bit "odd" going on a dating site, but this has made me feel like it may be a good idea! Lol. Even though I am not going in expecting anything, might just give it a go
kammi_sparky123 come to mind lol
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >