Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
david richardso
New Member!
Male 

25-04-2011, 10:28 AM

Estate car to carry a leonberger

My Honda Accord Estate is due to be replaced, and I am wondering what should replace it. It needs enough height and space generally to carry Fern, our leonberger. Any suggestions out there
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Ford Galaxy would have the space you require and even better they have their own range of dog guards and dividers.

I used to have one and they had plenty of room for two dogs in the area where the third rows of seats should be.

Most of the regular estates are not high enough for a large dog to sit upright.

However other cars which have sufficient headroom are people carriers such as Peugeot Parner (fantastic cars) and the like.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Ive got a mercedes E240 estate, its got a huuuuge boot and as an automatic doesnt feel like youre driving a big car! The 2 greyhounds I walk can stand up and lay down flat in it and the 5 month on leon that I walk has lots of growing room and currently shares the boot with a lab and cocker spaniel!

I can also fit a English mastif X great dane in it no trouble! Best thing I ever bought
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Go for a Micra..

On a more serious note, I haven't looked at many estates but I did notice the Mondeo has a hugee boot. Maybe go to your local Car Craft/Car Giant/similar, just to look around at the different cars available.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 07:56 AM
My current car is a Volvo 70, I could have had a Ford Mondoe or Focus Estate, a Merc, BMW, Audi , VW Passat or a Skoda Superb Estate.

I went round all the show rooms and measured the boots. The one with biggest all round capacity was the Superb however I did not like the design of the back so I setteled on the Volvo which was the next size down.

Some are wider than they are high, some are longer than they are high. The Volvo is the biggest out of the ones I have listed if that is any help. Not as big as the OLD design however
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 08:02 AM
we have the Volvo V40 (she is the Oh's other woman) and we fit all three of ours in the boot with plenty of room to stand up, turn around and stare at the car behind us!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 08:29 AM
I have a Citreon Berlingo car. The back seats fold up behind the front seats giving a 'guard' so you just need one of them universal guards for the top bit.

The boot space is massive and really high - Bailey is 34" to the shoulder and he can stand up in it quite comfortably also it has sliding side doors which I find I can body block the dogs to get leads on etc for walkies The boot opens flush to the back of the car so there's no lip and the dogs can just step into it rather than having to jump.

Best of all it has a hard plastic floor so it's just a matter of a sweep and mop out after wet walkies.

In fact I've had all 3 dogs, 3 bikes, 2 adults and a child in it

Mine's only a 1.6 diesel but it's really economical - 500miles to £60 (full tank!!) just driving around town
Leonberger
New Member!
Female 

26-04-2011, 11:38 AM
I have two Leonbergers, 3 kids and a ford galaxy.

We go on summer hols just fine! My mum comes and stays over the summer often and I can even fit one child in the back with the two leos. THAT IS SQUISHY but we get where we are going. Things fall out at the rest stops though!

Its a great car!

So thats, 3 adults, 3 kids and 2 leos and One change of undies each until we buy a roof rack!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I do love Volvo's for the boot space!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 11:51 AM
OH loves his for the abilty to "burn up" Subarus, Audis etc..and loves that she is 2l T4 200bhp!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >