Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 06:08 AM

Bunnie and feeding

As most of you know, I pick up the delicious Bunnie on Saturday.

She is raw fed, as is Lennon, but only gets fed once a day.

Do you think there would be any dire consequences if I split her food between two meals? I would much prefer to feed twice a day, morning and evening.

I'm pretty sure it would be fine, but your input is appreciated.

Thanks all x
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 06:22 AM
i'd go with what suits you, as long as she gets enough i don't think splitting it will be a problem, when we have boarders that are on once, i tend to split them to two when they are with us, otherwise they are hanging around when i feed mine which can lead to trouble
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Do what suits you hun xxxxxxxxxxxxx and best wishes
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-05-2011, 06:36 AM
I am sure it will be fine. As long as she is getting the same amount do what is best for you and your routine.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Two is always better than one, any vet will tell you that, and I'm sure you will have a happy Bunnie if she's fed this way, it's quite a highlight of their day afterall, well, it is in this house. Do what suits you now rather than have to change it all later on I'd say.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 06:45 AM
id switch it to two. dont think it will have much of an affect. i cant imagine my dogs going through the day will just the one meal. the only time they sometimes have one is if they are having a big bone type thing, which i feed the middle of the day, and maybe just a bit of a treat thing later on. go with what you think is best
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 06:53 AM
It is difficult isn't it, mulling over changes.

Personally I prefer to feed my dogs twice a day for the following reasons:

It helps maintain stable blood sugar levels
It helps prevent the stomach getting too empty and predisposing dogs to regurgitate bile
It helps prevent GD and GDV
It maintains a bit of interest at two ends of the day.

BUt I know many people feed one meal a day and if it suits the dogs then there is no problem.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 07:51 AM
She might take a few days to adjust to it (probably wondering why she gets half rations at the morning meal, until she realises dinner is coming later) but I imagine it's easier to switch from one to two, rather than two to one. I always feed twice a day as I feel more comfortable as they're big breeds prone to bloat, and feel it's got to be better for them than eating just the one meal a day.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 08:17 AM
I always beed two meals because there is no way I could sit down to breakfast with all those eyes looking at me

I have looked after friends dogs who feed once and they have no problems being fed twice especially if they are used to getting their one meal later in the day, breakfast must just be a bonus and they are not so hungry in th evening so I don't think they notice the reduced amount.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Much better for the dog - less for the digestion to work on at any given time. She will soon get used to your routine.

Congratulations on your new addition
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >