Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-03-2011, 09:13 PM

If everything else were perfect...

... would leaving your dogs unattended 8 hrs a day Mon - Thu be acceptable?

For 4 days of the week the dogs (3) would be left in kenneled run from approx 8 to 5.

From 5 till late, the dogs are as much part of the family as you could wish, dogs walked before and after these hours. Fri to Sun is pretty much a perfect doggy household.

What do you think?
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:21 PM
I would say it very much depends on the dogs. Are these your dogs, you are thinking of leaving, or dogs you don't have yet?

Most dogs are adaptable.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Personally I would say no - mainly because although they would be in a kennelled run it is not possible to know what they are doing during the day, unattended. I am thinking it might not be safe if something unexpected happened. Boredom would also be a factor to consider and I would not feel happy to leave them for an unattended 8 hour stretch 4days a week.
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Personally i wouldnt like to leave Toby for 8 hours a day.
If i really did have to though i would get a dog walker to walk, or play in the garden for a while.
Sometimes we cant help the circumstances that we are in, thankfully its not something i have to do, i am lucky enough to be flexable in my job so Toby is not left for really long periods of time alone
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Is there no way someone could pop in during the day? Its just, me being a worry wart, I would worry about accidents etc...
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:57 PM
The female Kerry we should have had from rescue was left like this is a kennel and the show people in the breed had been nagging the owner to rehome it. The people who lived opposite kept complaining as the dog was barking. He had 2 dogs and the female was eventually rehomed but he changed his mind about rehoming it when we were interested. He was feeling badgered into it by the show people.

Don't think it a fair lifestyle for a dog to be honest. Mine are left mornings as I work part-time but half the time my husband is here (sleeping) as he works shifts.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 10:21 PM
I have just put up a thread about some dogs left in a cage every day.........admittedly it is slightly different to the scenario that you paint, but the principle is very much the same really.

I personally think that it is too long to leave dogs alone and kennelled. Boredom could be a huge factor, and apart from the welfare of the dogs, there are neighbours perhaps to be considered if they start barking.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Talking from my dogs point of view....no

As I have the 4 BC's I know they would go stir-crazy being left that amount of time, dark nights would mean that they only went out when dark and they wouldn't get a couple of hours or more exercise during the daylight hours.
I'd worry that they would become bored and having Mojo being so small I wouldn't want her kennelled with the other 4.

But thats my dogs IMO they would fair well at all
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 11:49 PM
No, I don't think so. That's just my opinion, since you asked.

Too many hours for the dogs to be alone. Also you have to be careful when leaving several dogs together, alone, for any length of time.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Depends imo. Will someone be coming to let them out? Pay them a little attention etc part way through the day? Rupert has been left the past week while I was away. My hubby was home for around 45 minutes at lunch so that he was left 4 hours in the morning then another 3 and a half in the afternoon. I find that much more acceptable than a dog being left a solid 8 hours to be honest. Even that's not ideal but some people have no choice about working full time and as long as the dogs needs are met I don't believe they should have to give up their dog or not own one.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »