View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vawny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2011, 08:12 PM

Does this classify as a pre-existing condition?

Hi everyone.

The insurance renewal for our two is coming up soon, but my partner and I are at loggerheads as to whether Mia's surgery counts as a pre-existing condition.

She had an anal gland abscess, which we didn't know about until it unfortunately burst. It was a very upsetting time. Any way, she had emergency surgery to clean her up, and we made a successful claim to recoup all but the excess. We now take her every 3 months to have her glands emptied.

If we changed insurer, and she should get another abscess, would it be covered?

Sorry to have to ask, I guess there are hundreds of these sort of messages! I'd really appreciate any responses. Thanks!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Different companies will say different things but I imagine the majority would unfortunately say yes, it's a pre-existing condition. I know some companies have refused to treat any kind of lumps or bumps in dogs that have previously had anything like a cyst or abcess treated before! These are obviously a bit extreme but I'd say with such a specific area you will struggle to find a company to cover anything to do with the anal glands now.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2011, 08:37 PM
you may find if she has another abscess the same side you might not be covered.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Different companies will say different things but I imagine the majority would unfortunately say yes, it's a pre-existing condition. I know some companies have refused to treat any kind of lumps or bumps in dogs that have previously had anything like a cyst or abcess treated before! These are obviously a bit extreme but I'd say with such a specific area you will struggle to find a company to cover anything to do with the anal glands now.
I entirely agree with krlyr. They would all consider anal abscesses to be pre-existing, some would exclude all abscesses or similar.

Don't be tempted not to tell them though, as there are shared databases and they virtually all insist on complete vet records when you claim now.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2011, 11:33 PM
I am 99% sure it will be a pre-existing problem, sadly.
If it were me I would stay with the company you are with now for her, as they have already paid out so depends on what sort of policy you have, they will pay out if she has any more problems as it could be seen as an ongoing problem.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Ask the insurers?
You might find changing her food helps the anal glands empty naturally.
Vawny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

Last time we were at the Vets having this procedure, I was told that there is no way to prevent it happening again except regular emptying. I was also told that Cavaliers often have this problem. I read 2 cavalier books before she arrived, and this was not in either of them!!!

Anyway, we haven't received the renewal price yet, I want to stay with them but my other half- who actually pays for it- wants to look around first. I'm sure we'll sort it out.

Thanks again everyone.