Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 05:37 PM

Can guinea pigs eat lettuce?

I know it shouldnt be given to rabbits but can giggle pigs eat it? We get a lot of salad bags from OH's son as he works for a supplier but we cant eat it quick enough and seems a shame to throw it out. When I've given them a little bit, they've gone mad for it but dont want to make them ill.
GuineaPigQueen
New Member!
Female 

26-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Iceburg lettuce is a huge no. It can cause diarrea and can upset their gut. Which is usually what the salad bags have in them. If you have feed them iceberg, keep an eye on them. Some pigs tolerate better than other, (does not mean its okay to feed them it though) some can go down with a upset stomach from a small amount, and obviously diarrea is very bad in pigs.

Heres info on other lettuces/foods in general:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ants-list.html
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks so much for that. I've printed it out for future reference! Its not iceburg lettuce. its what I call the posh stuff, green leaves etc. Will check next time what leaves it is and check on the chart. Thanks again.
GuineaPigQueen
New Member!
Female 

27-02-2011, 05:43 PM
No problem, anytime
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Both my piggies would eat lettuce, iceberg or otherwise...unfortunately they could not read so didn't know they weren't supposed to eat it. Wasnt till after they died (of old age) that I discovered they aren't supposed to have it.

They had no ill effects other than to wheeeeek and chirp when they heard the veggies being chopped! So much my neighbour actually thought I had got some birds..
GuineaPigQueen
New Member!
Female 

05-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
Both my piggies would eat lettuce, iceberg or otherwise...unfortunately they could not read so didn't know they weren't supposed to eat it. Wasnt till after they died (of old age) that I discovered they aren't supposed to have it.

They had no ill effects other than to wheeeeek and chirp when they heard the veggies being chopped! So much my neighbour actually thought I had got some birds..
Lucky you...however just because you were lucky doesnt make it fine to feed. It really is not something I would ever promote or advise to guinea pig owners. But maybe its because I've heard enough of not so lucky stories to know what damage feeding iceburg can do.

My pigs wheek when I open a bag of crisps, but they wouldnt get any