Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tracey458
New Member!
Female 

28-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Travel sickness remedies

hi i have puppy he is 5 months he loves going out in the car but he is always sick i have had the sickness tablets but dont work what else could i use.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Ginger biscuits and plenty of short journeys until he gets used to it.
tracey458
New Member!
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:05 PM
ok thanks
Daisychain
New Member!
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:41 PM
My neighbour's daughter always had same trouble with her border collie but now gives her Kwells. She worked out the dose by comparing the dogs weight against that of a child and the dog travels well now. Her dog is fully grown though so I don't know whether it would be safe for your little one. Ginger is good for travel sickness so the biscuits may well help.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Casper was travel sick when I first got him but short journeys seems to have cured him - we had a 4 hour stop and start drive just before Christmas because of getting stuck in a mega jam on the M25 and he wasn't sick once, so I think he's well and truly over it!
I'd just go short trips down to the local petshop (about a mile away) or over to my nan's to visit (probably 2 miles), then a little further to new walking areas, and the sickness just went away really.
I know some people swear by putting the dog in a car crate and covering it over with a blanket so the dog can't see out of the windows.
tracey458
New Member!
Female 

01-03-2011, 08:56 AM
ok thanks i will try them
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 09:05 AM
I would say that if you're trying ginger biscuits, either make your own doggy friendly ones or go for some from a health shop, e.g. gingerstem biscuits - something like a pack of gingernuts from the supermarket probably won't have much actual ginger in and will have lots of sugar in them too
tracey458
New Member!
Female 

01-03-2011, 09:07 AM
ok thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by tracey458 View Post
hi i have puppy he is 5 months he loves going out in the car but he is always sick i have had the sickness tablets but dont work what else could i use.
Hi Tracey you say your puppy 'loves going in the car' so it sounds like motion sickness rather than fear of cars.
Preventing a dog from looking out of the window at moving objects can help with motion sickness, that is where the covered crate or travel box can help.

It is a good idea to make sure there is plenty of fresh air in the car too and that it is not too hot and stuffy.

As previously said ginger is an anti emetic and has been found to be effective for all forms of nausea and sickness, it is possible to buy capsules containing ginger from health food shops.
tracey458
New Member!
Female 

01-03-2011, 10:13 AM
i will look into the ginger capsules thanks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >