Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Long lasting treats for elderly collie

Can anyone recommend any for Dylan? I find that the normal rawhide chews upset his tummy and bones are definitely out for him. He was terribly ill the last time he had one. I feel so bad for him as the 2 youngsters have their chewys and I have to take him out of the room otherwise he just stands and stares at them. I give him normal treats but they're gone in seconds.

Any longer lasting treats would be wonderful to know about!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Bull pizzle! A stick lasts Cain about 20-30 mins and doesn't upset his tummy at all. It's a pure muscle chew.

Also non greasy sticks of paddywhack go down well.

There are Ostrich tendon twisters you can get which are stomach friendly, but I haven't tried them

Also antler Stagbar chew

HTH
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Pizzle tends to last a while - it's just dried muscle (don't ask what muscle ), but it's fairly tough so tends to last a little while longer than rawhide.
There's also deer antler chews but it seems a bit hit and miss as to whether dogs like them, mine aren't massively keen on theirs.
Zooplus do a range of different animal chews which look like they may last a while too but I haven't tested any (was waiting for a Christmas bonus to treat my two but sadly didn't get one - thanks recession!)
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Selkie loves a frozen white fish fillet and it doesn't upset her tummy at all.. She has the same problem with rawhide and bones. I buy a pack of sainsburies basic white fish and just give her one straight from the freezer...
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Mine get the dried chicken or duck fillets from PAH ~ they love them, but they don't last as long as a rawhide. Perhaps Dylan may make them last a bit longer? I think they're about £3 per packet of 5-6 chicken fillets or lots of smaller duck fillets.

Hope Dylan's still doing well
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Fish4Dogs do a really good natural treat/chew range.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Bull pizzle! A stick lasts Cain about 20-30 mins and doesn't upset his tummy at all. It's a pure muscle chew.

Also non greasy sticks of paddywhack go down well.

There are Ostrich tendon twisters you can get which are stomach friendly, but I haven't tried them

Also antler Stagbar chew

HTH
Oh I am so glad I'm not a dog! Ok, well if that can last Cain for a while that might be an option for Dyls. Thanks for those. x

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Pizzle tends to last a while - it's just dried muscle (don't ask what muscle ), but it's fairly tough so tends to last a little while longer than rawhide.
There's also deer antler chews but it seems a bit hit and miss as to whether dogs like them, mine aren't massively keen on theirs.
Zooplus do a range of different animal chews which look like they may last a while too but I haven't tested any (was waiting for a Christmas bonus to treat my two but sadly didn't get one - thanks recession!)
I guessed what the pizzle was I've heard of the deer antler chews, can't quite see the appeal but it might be worth seeing if the old boy likes them. I just have to be so careful with him. Poor thing has a very sensitive tum now. I'll check out Zooplus, thank you x

Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Selkie loves a frozen white fish fillet and it doesn't upset her tummy at all.. She has the same problem with rawhide and bones. I buy a pack of sainsburies basic white fish and just give her one straight from the freezer...
That sounds brilliant! I'll definitely buy a pack and see how he goes, thank you x

Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Mine get the dried chicken or duck fillets from PAH ~ they love them, but they don't last as long as a rawhide. Perhaps Dylan may make them last a bit longer? I think they're about £3 per packet of 5-6 chicken fillets or lots of smaller duck fillets.

Hope Dylan's still doing well
I doubt it! He has the jaws of a shark! Could be worth a try though, thanks for that He's still doing really well thanks x

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Fish4Dogs do a really good natural treat/chew range.
Oh yes! I'll look those up too. Brilliant, thanks for that x
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 11:18 AM
You could always pack a Kong for him to have whilst the others have their chews, as an alternative option - if you don't want him too full up then one idea I've heard is to make a stock, block the end of the Kong up, fill with stock and freeze - voila, nice "light" treat for the dog. You could always mix a bit of wet food like NatureDiet (or blended veg if he likes it) with the stock so it was a soggy consistancy for a bit more substance to it. You can make a nice healthy homemade stock by simmering a stock bone (venison spine, chicken neck, whatever you can get hold of - just remember to bin the cooked bone) in a pan for a while. Add veggies for flavour but obviously doesn't season with salt as doggies tend to like it without anyway.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
You could always pack a Kong for him to have whilst the others have their chews, as an alternative option - if you don't want him too full up then one idea I've heard is to make a stock, block the end of the Kong up, fill with stock and freeze - voila, nice "light" treat for the dog. You could always mix a bit of wet food like NatureDiet (or blended veg if he likes it) with the stock so it was a soggy consistancy for a bit more substance to it. You can make a nice healthy homemade stock by simmering a stock bone (venison spine, chicken neck, whatever you can get hold of - just remember to bin the cooked bone) in a pan for a while. Add veggies for flavour but obviously doesn't season with salt as doggies tend to like it without anyway.
Now that is a good idea too. I like the sound of him having something that is tasty and good for him but not necessarily chewy. Brilliant! He's on steroids for his Leukemia so he is constantly hungry and when the little ones have their chews, he looks so miserable! With a frozen kong he could settle down with that for quite some time. Thank you! I can't wait to see his face when I give him his tasty, frozen kong! Piccies will be posted! x