Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 12:09 PM

Indoor guarding?

My youngest Affen, Enzo, has an irritating habit of barking at visitors in the house.

For example, my Mum is staying at the moment and he's absolutely fine with her, excited to see her, solicits attention, sits with her on the sofa etc. But if she gets up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom he jumps out of bed and barks his pesky head off! Once he's realised it's her he come back to bed and settles down.

He is worse with my Dad and brother, again fine with them most of the time, but if they come down the stairs or get up in the night he barks.

What's the best way to tackle this?

By the way just wanted to update all of you that were so helpful about him barking at other dogs, thanks so much for the advice (especially Claire & Daisy!) he has made massive improvement in the last few weeks, I am so proud and pleased with him!

J.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-02-2011, 12:28 PM
are the lights on?mine do this as well..drives me nuts....i have to reinsure the dog that things are fine ...i believe they are alerting to something out of schedual,maybe?....i worked stange shift at one time and the dog would react diff at that time....or maybe there grumpy, getting woke up themselves...penny for there thoughts!!!!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Earplugs? Hopefully he`ll get used to them. Maybe mum could call his name when she gets up so he knows it`s her?
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Earplugs? Hopefully he`ll get used to them.
Not helpful!

Come on C&D you were instrumental in sorting the other prob now put your brain to work on this one! I'm counting on you! (No pressure then )

J.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Hopefully he'll get used to them!

Could get them to call a hello as they pass your door?

My mother can stay with impunity.

My aunt (who he's only met a few times) gets up in the night - and I have a growling monster next to me- until he knows who it is. (Visitors mean the dog kips in my room)

Still at least he doesn't bark.

Edit: My solution was an "Oi say something to the dog he thinks you're a monster"
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Not helpful!

Come on C&D you were instrumental in sorting the other prob now put your brain to work on this one! I'm counting on you! (No pressure then )

J.
Hey - Razzle still barks at me walking round at night. We`ll never get burgled though.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 07:28 PM
The visitors don't stay longer than a week, so it isn't really long enough for him to get used to them. If my Mum shusshes him he realises it's her and comes back to bed but he seems to think blokes are more of a threat so will carry on barking at my Dad/brother.

Trouble is it makes me jump out of my skin! There I am deep in the land of nod only to be jolted rudely awake by a demented Affen, grrrrr!

J.